Property Damaged by Tradesman who's liable

busymum

With out going into too much detail some of our property was damaged while a third party was doing work at our home, there is substantial repair required. Does this come under the remit of our insurance, or his (if he has some!!) ?
Luckily no-one was injured but at this point i have not even rang our insurance company. We have only just changed over companies and i'm afraid we wont be covered, i have yet to receive policy documentation!

My sister seems to think that as we did not do the damage we should not be liable. Is there not something re public liability where you have a workman on site or does that just cover any claim made by the workman against you for any injury to them?

In a bit of a panic and would appreciate anyones views or experiences on this?

Impossible to tell in the absence of at least some information as to what happened. You need to talk to your insurer asap.

He works for himself, not sure that he is registered. Worried that home insurance wont cover for this kind of damage.

What kind of damage did he do?

All legitimate self employed tradespeople have insurance to cover for damage.

Have you spoken to the person involved?

Tradesmen like that should have liability insurance to cover in case of events like this, however if he's just an un-registered odd job man, this probably won't be the case.

What has he said about the situation?!

Back