Property damaged by fire in neighbours house

Clonback

My property was damaged by fire in my neighbours house.My insurance broker says I must claim on my own policy.Is this correct as I fail to understand why my insurance should be left with the bill?

I think how it works is that you claim off your own insurance and then afterwards your insurance company will claim the costs off your neighbours insurance.

No. Your insurers wont end up claiming back off the next door property if it falls under the Accident Fire Act 1943. The only way they may look to recoup the loss was if the fire was not accidental and they can argue it is outside of the act.

What if you didn't have your own insurance? Would you legally target the neighbour in that case?

I imagine you would have to sue the neighbour. Which is why it's very silly for people not to have insurance in the first place.

What if you didn't have your own insurance? Would you legally target the neighbour in that case?

Your neighbour could legitimately avoid liability by the same act applying. Unless it can be proved it didn't fall within that act. Its the same reason why insurers cant claim back from other insurers.

If I don't claim of my own insurance ,can I claim directly against the neighbouring property which is commercial.The fire was more than likely accidental.

Back