Proof of marriage - problem with disclosing religious content on marriage cert

On my cert it says that we were married "under the provisions of the Marriages (Ireland) act 1844", no mention of any religion.

Contact the General Registars office in Dublin for advice.
But doesn't the civil cert still detail the place in which the marriage took place? Ours says the registry office. If it had been a church wedding then I presume that the church would be listed?

I agree that there may be some confusion above between a church and civil marriage cert.

Yes - that would be unigamy.

I am married twice (the wife wants a 3rd time, but I put my foot down ) anyway for what it is worth, the first time was in the Dublin Registry office which issue a A4 computer printed marriage certificate. There is no religion mentioned on it. But the problem headings have:

"Marriage Solemnized (Note the American spelling.) at: - The Register Office Co. Dublin."
"According to: - the Provisions of Marriages Ireland Act, 1844
by Registrars Certificate.”

I would get back on to the Registry Office and the Department of Foreign Affairs and try to get talking to someone high up. You could also get on to your local TD etc.
You could also point out that they have no problems issuing second passports for people traveling to ‘difficult’ countries, which bar entry if you have an ‘offending’ countries stamp.

Towger

I got my marriage cert from the local Registrar office, and it is this cert which details the religious aspect.

In Carey's and Towger's case, they were married in Reg Office, hence no mention of religion. In hindsight I would have done this if I had realized!

I think I will call DFA and try to get something from them. The problem will be trying to get past the people who answer the phone, and on to someone with some authority. The TD might be a good route too.

If you want to email the department, I found the only way to get a response was to email the Minister directly, CC'ing their local Constituency email address as well. Also butter up the email with how great you think they are! Emails to the Departments general addresses were ignored.

Towger

The plot thickens. A muslim taking part in a Christian marriage would be looked on very poorly in the Islamic World. As you write it almost certainly would not be recognised and indeed might (for example in Saudi and certain of Gulf States) be taken as proof of apostasy and result in a very serious consequences. Definately be very cautious how you proceed.

Although there may not be an Irish Embassy in the country in question, there should be an Honorary Consul. Also some Embassies are accredited to more than one country I know that the Irish Embassy in Saudi Arabai covers all the Gulf States. I think your best bet is to talk to someone in the Embassy. My experience of dealing with people in the Department of Foreign Affairs (at least in Embassies) has been very positive. In this instance I think you need some professional guidance on how to proceed.

Thanks for suggestions, I will proceed through the Dept for FA.

As for the Honorary Consul, I wouldn't trust him as far as I'd throw him. He's a local businessman, don't know how he was selected.