Proof of address but only staying for a month

MrEBear

Hi, I hope someone can give me some advice here.

About 3 months ago we had a Polish girl move in with us in order to bring our rent down. She got a job and everything was fine. Then about 2 or 3 weeks ago her boyfriend From holland moved in. He has no intention of looking for a job (his words not mine) but wants me to do him up a letter stating that he lives with us in order for him to get a pps number so he can claim SW. I personally don't understand why he doesn't want to work but that's beside the point, the point is he has told us that they plan on moving out at the end of the month, so will only be living with us a total of a month.

What I want to know is should I give him this letter seeing as though he won't be living with us much longer? All helpful advice welcome. Thanks in advance Bear

Why would you even consider doing it? He wants to de-fraud the State. You could always say you hadn't gotten round to it until he eventually leaves and then refuse if you want to keep the peace in the meantime.

What I want to know is should I give him this letter seeing as though he won't be living with us much longer? All helpful advice welcome. Thanks in advance Bear

Why are you even considering this? Add extra costs to the State to keep lazy bums in Dutch Gold and cigarettes?? WTF?

Tell him you can't give him the letter as he won't even be there past this month. To be honest I would not give it and sure he will be gone soon enough so any unpleasantness over it won't last. Does he even pay rent?? You don't owe him anything so don't feel obliged. I don't understand how he can claim SW here, since he never worked / paid stamps here? I can only hope he is mistaken and would not get anything....?

Thanks for the replies, I kinda had a feeling I was being stupid even thinking about it. Think I'll go with your idea purpeller and just keep saying I forgot until he leaves. The only fear I have is if one of the others that live with me (my brother and best mate) give in and do one up for him.

Thanks again. Bear

Make sure you tell your brother and his friend not to give him that letter under any circustances!! How dare he come here and expect to get money for free from hardworking Irish taxpayer's....there's enough of our money being wasted in this country! Please be strong enough to say NO!!

Thanks again guys, I just called them and told them not to give him the letter and they agreed with me. To answer your question fizzelina so far his girlfriend has paid his rent for him and the bills that are currently due are for before he arrived.

Thanks again everyone, I knew I'd get sound advice from AAM. Bear

Agree with everyone here. Don't do it for him.

Coming at it from another angle, would it be worth while reporting his name and other details (if you have any) to the revenue? He may end up getting that letter off someone else and then they maybe able to nab him as soon as he does?

Anyone know what department of the revenue I would contact to let then know about this and if I would need proof (his word against mine)?

Just give as much details as you can i.e date of his arrival from Holland, his girlfriends full name and PPS number if you have it, your address, how long she has been living with you, what he said to you in terms of not planning to work etc. I would also put it in writting.

address - Revenue, Investigations Division, Block D, Ashtowngate, D15, 01 8277500

Or you could be entirely honest and give him a letter stating when he arrived and when he is expected to leave. He won't qualify for any social welfare anyway if he's not in the country 6 months. Not sure Revenue would be interested either if he's not liable for any tax (underdeclaring earnings).
Sybil

It appears to be more relevant to report him to Social Welfare than Revenue, which can be done online here.

Hi xeresod thanks for the link, I've filled it in as best I can with as much detail as I could give, hopefully this will be enough to keep him from unjustly claiming SW

Bear