Pronunciations

The customers would say 'Lite EYE-taalian? Youre from Eyerland arent you?'
Ireland is a tough one when abroad, particularly the US - if you don't pronounce it the way truthseeker has spelt it above, they can have difficulties understanding. There are also lots of pronunciations even here - ire/eyer/eye-uh (r barely heard)/are(rhyming with car)/oy-er following by lind, lund or land. And there's probably others too. Not sure which is correct to be honest...

Update: Sky News have the Queen visiting Eye-land

Don't forget our ability to ignore "th", especially down in Cork, deese, doose, dem, dat etc etc, so Thederas would be dederas.

Don't forget our ability to ignore "th", especially down in Cork, deese, doose, dem, dat etc etc, so Thederas would be dederas.

That's why Princess Diana and Dodi Al Fayed could never have married in Cork, had they wanted to.

Imagine the vicar asking, "Doo dee, Dodi, take Di to be di wife, biy?"

It'd be like listening to Kathleen Lynch T.D.!

Fine Gael -> how is this pronounced?

I think Liam Cosgrave pronounced it, as if he was describing a nice, windy day, i.e. "Fine gale."

Eamonn Ó Cuív pronounces it as "Finna Gaol," as in The Ballad of Reading Gaol.

I'd definitely go with the latter on it.

By the way, umop3p!sdn, how do you pronounce your name?

Ah, American waitresses!!! My wife and myself were in a restaurant in Boston one night, many moons ago, and after I'd ordered, the waitress turned to my wife and asked, "Does he speak any English?"

Too much time spent working with blooming Kerrymen out there!!!

Our ability to differentiate people throughout Ireland by their accent is really quite remarkable considering the size of the place.

When I think of the USA, I reckon that there are three accents. The real hard-core New York accent "Cup of Cawwfee" then the deep southern "That god-dang varmint just shot my dawg" and then finally the third accent which every other American or Canadian who doesn't live in New York or Alabama has.

Sure dat does be da way I do be doing it

I used that all the time, it tends to confuse some people though

What about the Bostonian Clam Chowda accent?

lol!!!! Very good!!

I went to a post office in chicago, told the lady I wanted a stamp for Ireland, she looked at me blankly, asked for a stamp for Eyerland, she looked confused, 'Eyerland? Where is that?', I said 'Its in Europe'. She then asked me what country Europe was in . I told her Europe was a continent, like Africa. I got another blank look...........

This morning on the radio, I heard Stephen McNamara, Head of Communications for Ryanair speak about "De tree Euro travel tax".

Not the end of the world, I suppose, but a Head of Communications of a major plc should be a good communicator.

I worked in a restaurant during my J1 along with a lot of others. One American customer remarked on the large number of us working there and I said "yeah, sure half the country is over here" to which she replied, "OMG, are you kidding me?"

The one that annoys me most is when journalists on RTE (and some other stations) refer to "renumeration" (in reference to salary etc). As we on AAM know its "remuneration"

Well known newsreader on RTE, consistently says, PA_TY for party..leaves out the R every time...very annoying ..

Yes this is peculiar to Ireland where some people drop the h in th yet put in the h where there is a t on its own!