pronunciation

Everybody seems to pronounce it differently - although if you Google it...
ek-in-ashe-a.

SecauCus is pronounced - Se-kaw-kus (and yes it's in new Jersey)

Chesapeake is pronounced - Chess-a-peek

Any more ??

RTE repeatedly mispronounced New Orleans (saying "New or-LEENS" instead of "New OR-lins") during the recent disaster. The BBC mispronounced at first, but quickly changed to the correct pronunciation (correct being what the locals call it).

All the British media seemed to be pronouncing it New orlee-ANS - don't know where that came from

[broken link removed]

if youre into that type of thing, put http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/014014305X/qid=1132749867/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_2_1/202-9351394-9604607 (mother tongue) on your xmas wish list.

Perhaps the BBC are reverting to the original French pronunciation? That would be going a bit to far!

Before the critics reply I am referring to Palmerstown in West Dublin. I know there is a Palmerston in another area in Dublin.

So does Paul Simon. Poetic license I suppose. The colloquial pronunciation, as I say, is New OR-lins. Local African Americans say N'AWlins.

ajapale said:
People refering to the Gardai as the Gadai
When Emer O'Kelly used to read the news on RTÉ she somehow managed to pronounce it "Nggawdee". My attempt at a phonetic spelling probably doesn't do her pronunciation justice (no pun intended).

Speaking of "Or-Tea-Eee" are all emloyees trained to pronounce it "Aaah-Tea-Eee" as part of the induction process when they are hired?

franmac said:
Before the critics reply I am referring to Palmerstown in West Dublin. I know there is a Palmerston in another area in Dublin.
Palmerstown is Dublin 20.Palmerston road is Dublin 6.
How do you pronounce falafel?

message deleted see below (Brendan can we get rid of the 10 characters rule please?)