projecting onto a wall

lemrac

hi y'all

I have a big tall white indoor wall and I'm thinking of getting a projector and projecting movies onto the wall. I have a laptop so I guess I'd use this and connect to the projector.

I've never attempted anything like this and would appreciate any advice. Like would it work ? And if so what's the most reasonable projector that would give good resolution. Also would I need to buy speakers.

thanks

L

it would work but the quality might not be as nice as with a screen. i cant make a recommendation about specific models but be careful as a lot of projectors distort colours ie. an excel cell shaded pink shows as blue on the projected image. ive seen this with quite a few different ones.

Yes you'll need speakers. Also I believe projectors tend to be classified as either home theatre or business. The former emphasises features like brightness, contrast and fan noise (important!), the latter size/portability.
A big part of the cost is with the bulbs, so the life & price of a bulb is an important factor. As well as a white wall, you also need a dark room. Are your current curtains dark enough?

Edit:
I would start with a second-hand one, e.g. here. try and get a demo from the seller as well.

there's no problem with getting the room really dark and I guess I could try out the wall and if it didn't work get a screen. Am happy to go second hand any particular models most reliable?

thanks

L

Last edited:
the room neednt be too dark. modern projectors have beter lumen outputs than the older ones. im usually all for buying things 2/hd but a projector would be an exception due to the bulb costs which are typically hundreds to replace.

thanks for that xt40 so do you suggest any model. doesn't have to be fancy.

L

i cant recommend anything specific as i never use them for video but have a look on dabs.com and then google for reviews of whats on offer there.

An another important thing to consider is the Lumins. You want 2000 or more. This is the strength of the light that is projected. NEC and panasonic do a good ones that are a neat size.

If you're going to go to the expense of getting a projector, you should really get a screen too.

We used a projector with a white sheet for a good few months. We now have a screen, and the picture is much better.

Back