Probs with wireless BB reception

babaduck

I have a PC upstairs with an eircom Netopia router. Santa brought me a new laptop today & I can get coverage in every damn room in the house except the sitting room!!! I've moved the router out to an open position rather than under the PC desk but nowt!

Is there a very easy solution to fix this that doesn't involve drilling, wiring & cables (all I can seem to find in my google searches) like a TV signal booster which you plug into a power/phone socket?

All help appreciated!!!

Do you by chance have a Sky box in your sitting room connected to a phone line?

I had and disconnected the lline from the Sky box and my wireless BB worked.

I have suggested Home Plugs in some previous posts. Can you wireless router be moved to the sitting room ? If so you could then use the home plugs to get the BB signal to your PC upstairs. (You could use the Home Plugs to get the signal to the sitting room but it wouldn't be wireless)

Others users have suggested signal boosters but I'm not sure what the results have been.

No other wireless devices anywhere. The setup is...

Dell desktop PC at home (it's 6 years old so I dunno if it could cope wirelessly...) it's a Dimension 4800.

We have Sky+ connected to a phone line in the sitting room and a set of 2 x Philips cordless phones - one in the hall & the other upstairs in the spare room (which adjoins the study where the PC & Netopia router is located)

Oh, and upstairs I've two lines going into a DSL filter - one connected to the PC & the other to the router (if that's any help...)

Success!!!! I went into PC World in Carrickmines & the very nice guy suggested a Belkin Enhanced Wireless Modem Router Kit and told me he would give me a full refund if it didn't work. Spent 10 minutes setting it up, another 10 mins on the phone to a lovely bloke in eircom tech support and now have full signal strength all over the house!!!

Also got a Logitech wireless mouse with a nano-USB connector so you don't even notice it at the side of the laptop.

Time for wine to celebrate :D

Back