probs with cement floor and now tenants have to move

Sammie

hi, a friend of mine has asked me post the following:

She has bought a two bed appartment which was ready to move in March. She furnished it and has moved tennants in. Now the builders have found a problem with the foundations, something in the cement, that was laid down and they have to dig them up and put them down again. She was told the tennants have to move out for 8-10 weeks until the floors have been redoned.

this means she now has extra cots of solicitors fees etc. Plus the hassel of probably going through a snag phase again........

are the builders liable in anyway as they sold her an apparment with faulty foundations.

Re: probs with cement floor and now tennants have to move

Does her insurance cover this at all?
Maybe she should talk to her solicitor?

Do they have Home Bond?

I think that the builders are doing it all as they are still building on site. But the inconvience of the tennants moving out and maybe move somewhere else and then the worry of mortgage repayments.

I would be very surprised if the builder was not liable

I think the relevant question here is whether she had actually closed on the purchase or not. If it was closed as it would appear then it is unlikely that a claim against the builder for all expenses due to their negligence/breach of contract would fail. But you say she has additional legal bills because of this- presumably therefore she has had a solicitor acting for her in relation to the problem and will have had legal advice with the benefit of her solicitor knowing the actual situation and having the contracts and transfer documenation and clauses to hand.