Problems with water pressure in house

marty004

Hi, We continually seem to be having problems intermittently with the water supply in our house, especially during showers.
Our ensuite shower can stop for no reason and a large noise from the pump can then be heard. If we then try and wash the suds left off from our sink, the sink spits and spurts the water out. If we then run into the electric shower in the bathroom the water has also stopped. If we come back a couple of hours later it usually comes back on again???
Very embarassing if you have visitors!
The builders/plumbers have been up to have a look and they say all seems fine. Although anytime they have come up the water has worked of course!
Anyone any ideas? Any information would be appreciated.
Kind Regards,
Martin.

ps. Our water and heating is run off gas heating if that makes any difference. I noticed the pressure gauge on the boiler reader is never at the normal level between 1 and 2.5 but WAS TOLD it was fine when I pointed that it was at 0.4. Unfortunately since I'm not the expert I just have to agree with what I'm told.

Can I take it that the showers are fed direct from the mains and the hot water is heated by a gas 'Combi Boiler' rather than a immersion/coil?

Running from mains = low mains pressure - Solution run from tank
Running from Tank = tank running dry - Solution add an extra tank.

Towger.

All I know is the water is heated by the combi boiler.

Not too sure if the showers are fed direct from the mains or Tank. How can I tell? (Sorry if stupid question)
We do have a tank in our attic but surely a large estate in which we live would run from the mains??

I would hope between the 3 or 4 people that have come to look at the problem would have suggested something, but all I get is that it all looks fine!!
Thanks for your advice, I'll pass it on to the experts.

Probably mains feed if using a combi. It sounds like the mains pressure is dropping or maybe there is air coming in (the spitting!). Is their still good pressure from the cold water tab in the kitchen (It should be connected directly to the incoming supply) and do your neighbors have the same problem.

You could try asking the same question here http://www.screwfix.com/talk/forum.jspa?forumID=25 BTW. If in Ireland might be best not to say so!

Towger

Thanks, we actually have another person coming out to look at our problem tomorrow. So will be interesting to hear what he has to say.
I'll keep you posted.

Actually, just noticed last night that we have water constantly trickling of water from our ensuite toilet??
Could this have anything to do with our water supply being low and causing the shower to stop working?
Although I think this has been happening long before the toilet problem so maybe not!

Hi we had the same problems with our new app. It's after taking a year and a bit to sort and 14 plumbers (really). What we found out after we went legal and got our own plumber out and found out the thermostat on the hot pipe wasn't able for the heat and the pump the builder had supplied wasn't up to scratch but was cheaper(and a lot louder). So when builder was given notice for legal action sent in plumber no.14 and he agreed and said builder new this from day one but thought he could get away with it. Long story short, fitted two bits, loads of hot water, and can actually not run two taps in different rooms and enjoy showers.

Heres a thought: How big is your cold water tank in the attic?

From the sounds of it, your pump emptied the tank, and pumped in air. This only needs to happen once. Then the tank refills as usual, so you can't diagnose the problem easily, except for the taps spitting out water. Thats the air coming through the system.

Get a plumber in to have the pipes drained and pressurised. Should take but a few hours max.