Problems with Tesco Credit Card

Delboy

Re: Credit Card Deals-Rewards and Cash

A few cautionary tales on the tesco credit card.I got 1 a year ago and am about to get rid of it, mainly beacuse of their customer service.

1. you very rarely get 2 pints for every 1 spent when you purchase tesco products with your CC. From experience I'd say this has happened about 10% of times I shopped in Tesco. I've gone to the customer service desk and the manager has given me the extra points if he's there (which was only about twice). Rest of the time I was told to ring the credit card people (more further on) and got nowhere.
2. customer service does not exist. They are based in the Uk and are inept e.g. paid my govt cc duty on my original card last year before switiching to tesco. sent tesco evidence of this and it took 10 months and several phone calls and several more productions of same evidence before the credit came through.
3. the tesco points people are seperate to the credit card people so try and solve an issue that involves them both!!!
4. cc limit is really low. I only got 1.5k in first year and 2k recently.My old mbna card was 4k. I could not get tesco to up the limit even though I pay my entire cc every month on time. evidence of salary would not work either.
5. i somehow went over the limit last month with 4 different purchases. they have charged me a fee for exceeding the limit!!!! Said i should check my account every month to make sure this does'nt happen - but they dont have on-line accounts!!! in other months the cc would'nt let me over the limit and I had to use my laser card.

They have the best rewards out there but it's not worth the hassle. Plus to really get the most out of it you have to shop in tesco (which to me is the poorest in terms of quality of the big 3 in ireland so i defo wont miss it), and then you have to hope you get the extra points for shopping there which are'nt guaranteed from my experience.
Pigsback next i think....

Last edited:

Once the €40 card charge came in a few years ago I got a Tesco card & I find it great. Just got €68 in vouchers last month. These come about 3-4 times a year (very high last month becasue a holiday was paid for on it). I would agree that it is frustrating using their customer service, but I also find them more cautious than other providors - some people find this annoying but it is in your interest. They called my mobile first time I made an internet transaction. Also called my mobile first time the missus & myself used joint card in different parts of the country within a few minutes of each other. Yes it would have been annoying to have these transactions blocked, but they were watching out carefully for fraud. I disputed a transaction last month for €250 and they have credited it to me unless evidence arises that I am wrong.
No problems with amount of credit limit - but yes I am not permitted to exceed this limit like Delboy

Read some comments about Tesco card- for which I applied twice and every time i rang customer service, they advised me that no applications existed- despite the fact that they had written to me requesting documentation and also returning the originals etc. Waste of time phoning customer care- as already said- it doesn't exist!

So i wrote to Royal Bank of Scotland Head Office in Edinburgh- who are the bank behind the card. They were particularly helpful and said they'd send me free tesco vouchers for all the hassle etc- Haven't received them yet- but at least they listened.

After all my experience, i won't be taking card and returned it to them cut up! But nice to get someone to acknowledge things were not perfect and looking forward to spending the vouchers!

Tesco have a new offer on their clubcards. Its called Tesco Deals.You can exchange your tesco vouchers for 4 times their value in Hotel vouchers, restauraunt vouchers etc. It actually really makes it worth while having a Tesco Credit Card as it helped me rack up €101 in Tesco vouchers in 3 months. I am in the process of exchanging these vouchers for €404 euros in Hotel vouchers which will pay for a weekend away for my Wife and I.

Details Here:

http://www.tesco.ie/clubcarddeals/

Also I have never had a problem with Tesco Finance apart from their reluctance to increase my credit limit on the card from €5000 although I have a good rating and provided evidence of savings.

Back