Problems with shower

CMK

We have a "Mira" shower and it always worked perfectly up to recently. The water temperature in the last few weeks keeps changing from hot to cold - although we have not changed the setting? One minute you getting freezing cold water and it then immediately changes to really hot water! It certainly wakes up in the morning!! Has anyone ever had this problem?? Any ideas of what could be wrong before I contact the plumber??

Ta

Try this. Take off the shower head and give a good clean to the nozzles. Apparently restricted flow does not do anything for the heating element. Had this problem before with a Triton and this solved it. (The engineer who came out to fix it told me of the fix but still had to charge me :( ). I felt ever so small..............!

if you have other people using the water in the house ie. toilets, sinks, washing machines, dishwasher it may affect water pressure in your shower

thanks for all your replies. apparently cleaning the shower head with vinegar and warm water will do the trick! Will be doing that this evening!

ta

Hello, another shower issue, a new Mira Zest ordinary Electric shower - 9 times out of 10 provides cold water. The pull cord works, red light comes on and "on" sign appears. Two controls on shower: one going from Stop to High and a temperature control with blue dots up to red.

However, no matter what setting the shower is on (eg High and Red) most of the time the water (plenty of it) is freezing. I test it from time to time and very occasionally the water is warm (never really hot), the pressure seems to be the same all the time. The shower is installed upstairs in a storey and half house, perhaps the pressure isn't good enough? does the element in a shower need a certain amount of pressure to work? The plumber has already looked at it and said it was OK (guess he hit it on one of the few times the water was warm!), he's coming back in time but I wondered if I was missing something obvious myself. Any thoughts would be great, thank you.

storey and half house, perhaps the pressure isn't good enough?
We had the same issue last year, certain showers are designed to work with lower, I think you might need a new shower that works with lower pressure.

Is there a "pressure good" indicator on the unit ?. Many have a window with a red/green flag. If it is red, the pressure is too low. That may be the mains pressure, or a restriction in the pipe to the shower

CMK, we had the same problem and the guy from Maynooth Shower Mintenance came out and knew what it was before he even took off the cover.

If the water pressure drops, then the same power tries to heat less water and burns out wires in the unit.

Sure enough, when he took off the cover, there were 2 blackened wires which, when replaced, turned out to be the problem.

He said the way to avoid the problem was not to have any appliances (dishwasher, washing machine, even downstairs taps/toilets) which are connected directly to the mains (as is the shower) on the go when using the shower as they take the water pressure in the shower way down.

Could be different with you but there's an option.

Thank you for replies, there are no indicator lights on the shower and no other appliances on when I try the shower. I have a "customer service" number for Mira so am trying that at the moment to check with them; according to their website there are different types of of electric showers for low water pressure. If I find out anymore I will post back.

thanks for all your replies. apparently cleaning the shower head with vinegar and warm water will do the trick! Will be doing that this evening!

ta
As you probably have already discovered, your problem according to the symptoms described, is the filter on the cold water inlet which requires to be cleaned.Isolate the water inlet and unscrew same,and gently pull out the mesh filter with a snipe nose plyers or something similar and clean with a light brush and water and reinsert.
This should solve it as I had the same problem.

Back