Problems with outlook express

Wexfordman

Hi,

I have 3 accounts set up on outlook express, and for some reason today, I can no longer access any of them. I get the following error message

The connection to the server has failed. Account: '*******', Server: '*******, Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

I have blanked any references to the account name etc.

I get teh same error for all three email accounts, one is on eircom, another is a personal mail account set up from a web domain I own, the third is a work related one. I can access all 3 via webmail though.

Any help would be appreciated.

Wexfordman

Hi Wexfordman,
The above problem is usually associated with ports blocked by anti-virus software. The fact that all three email accounts are affected suggests some connection problem. Port 110 above is used for incoming mail. Can you send email? Did you install any software or upgrade any anti-virus software?

check your anti-virus settings (assuming you have anti-virus software installed) to see if outlook.exe is being "blocked" or "allowed" and if ports 25 and 110 are blocked.

Thedoc,

Yep, that seems to have been the problem (norton antiovirus). Free licence was just about to expire in a few days, so I removed. Going to get AVG free now.

Regards and thanks.
Wexfordman

I don't understand. Antivirus software doesn't normally block ports. Firewalls do.