problems with my accountant,is there a complaints board

T

tra

on giving my accountant all the info on my 06 returns i was shocked to see the tax bill that was charged to me,because we were using ros and by direct debit ,the sum was taken out of my account,to which i had no funds,so aib kindly got me a loan to pay it,on veiwing mt profit and loss accounts which were given to me a month later,i queried the whole lot,ayway in the end the accounts were re submitted and i had paid nearly 4,000euro too much,only last week did he file my nov,dec vat returns that i gave him in nov,,,he has me so stressed out,i will be looking for anothe accountant,WHO CAN I REPORT HIS NEGLIGENCE TO..

on giving my accountant all the info on my 06 returns i was shocked to see the tax bill that was charged to me,because we were using ros and by direct debit ,the sum was taken out of my account,to which i had no funds,so aib kindly got me a loan to pay it,on veiwing mt profit and loss accounts which were given to me a month later,i queried the whole lot,ayway in the end the accounts were re submitted and i had paid nearly 4,000euro too much,
Sorry I don't understand. Do you mean that you overpaid on Preliminary Tax or on DD payments during the year, and got a €4k refund later? You say "on giving my accountant all the info on my 06 returns i was shocked to see the tax bill that was charged to me", but you would not know your eventual tax liability at that stage, only when your accountant prepared the accounts and return for you.

only last week did he file my nov,dec vat returns that i gave him in nov,

The due date for filing your Nov/Dec Vat return was 19 January.

I don't understand how you could have given him your trading records for Nov/Dec before 31 December at the earliest, and certainly not in November, as you say.

If your accountant is a member of a professional institute, you can complain about them to that institute. However unless you present a coherent and clear account of the alleged negligence, your complaint will normally be rejected out of hand.

SORRY i WILL MAKE IT CLEARER, AT a meeting with my accountant in oct 07 he did not give me the total tax to be paid,but after questioning him after i had paid the tax,Ifound out interest on loans,etc,calculations on records i had given to him were NOT the same as he filed,so my whole year accounts were re checked and a complete set of totals were given,which reduced the tax figure by 4,000,i was also told that he has 150 client and MISTAKES could be made and its really up to me to check the accounts given to me,also the nov,dec 07 vat returns were given to 10th jan 08

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, still very unclear

SORRY i WILL MAKE IT CLEARER, AT a meeting with my accountant in oct 07 he did not give me the total tax to be paid,but after questioning him after i had paid the tax,
You paid a tax bill without knowing how much to pay?
its really up to me to check the accounts given to me,
How could you gave done this if...
...,on veiwing mt profit and loss accounts which were given to me a month late

I think what TRA is saying here is that the accountant submitted his '06 accounts using ROS, but without giving TRA a chance to review the submission.
The erroneous tax was paid by direct debit in connection with the ROS transmission. The accounts were subsequently identified to be incorrect resulting in an overpayment of tax.

The nov / dec vat return is a bit more mysterious. The records for this period cannot have been ready in November, and as Ubiquitous said, only at the end of the period.

Back