Problems with hydraulic powered gates in an apartment block

rocky888

Hi i was wondering if someone could advice me on my current predicament.

my girlfriend bought an apartment around 6 months ago. She bought the apartment over the entrance to gates. When buying the apartment she was told by the auctioneer that the gates would not be a problem in this day and age.

However the gates have been troublesome every since buying the property. They are hydraulicly powered have been given off a buzzing noise, along with bangs, with a vibration to go with it as well. The builder had been contacted and has had engineers out to work on them. They have made some progress but 4 months on there is a noise that still presists. As of last week, the builder has been in contact and now says having had the architect out and along with his sound engineer, he feels the noise from the gates in adequate. When the sound engineer means adequate, this means he has come to this conclusion from standing beside the gates and not going anywhere near the apartment.

I am wondering if anyone would have any advice. I cannot believe the builders can try and wash their hands of the situation already.

Also i would like to say that there is one other neighbour that lives in the same position over the gates but he does seem bothered! I bring this up as without his support, the situation seems like that the builders have come to the conclusion that they dealing with just difficult people.

Rocky,

Seems your girlfriend is in for a tough time ahead.
Seems to me that 1) yes they are difficult people 2) they dont care or mind about pleasing the tenants and 3 ) dont have the experience of how to trun the thing.
All these gate can be silenced, of course at a cost, but minimal.
It appears that unfortunately the gates are being mantained by a company who dont care or ....possibly dont know how to sort it out....This is typical for work carried out in this sector and many other building related trades in the past 15 years
The buzzing you refer to is probaby heard evertime the gate starts to open.
This is probably an electric lock which is used to maintain the gates closed for security reasons.This is norma this buzzing, and if the apartment is close then this would drive anyone insane, especially if the they are busy gates.
The lock can be changed for one that doesnt buzz, but that could a bit of convincing those who are supposed to know.

Best of luck....
or but We cant tell form this stand

There are building regulations governing accepetable noise levels in apartments, maybe you will have to have your own independant test done, and the approach the builder again.

sabre

Back