Problems with Easycar italia

S

sweetmale

This is my first post but I really need some advice!

In May 2008 we rented a car from Easycar italia. When we collected the car the tank was empty and we made the staff at Pisa airport aware of this, they then marked the contract that the tank was empty. We returned the car after the holiday with a half full tank (who can judge a tank of petrol and arrive back empty?)
Back in the UK about a week later they had taken an extra EUR45 from my credit card. I contacted them and they said it was for filling up the car with petrol. They said I must fax a copy of the marked contract to them to verify that we took the car empty which I did.
They reimbursed the money back to the credit card.

1 month later EUR30 was taken from my credit card and again I contacted them about this. (at no point did I receive a letter or an email that they were taking money on both occasions) This time they said it was for a fine I got in Florence. So I said keep the money as it was me that got the fine! 1 year later May 2009 I receive a letter through the post from the police in Italy saying that I have not paid my fine and now I have 60 days to pay them EUR105, after the 60 days it will go up to EUR175. I have tried contacting Easycar italia about it but they are just ignoring my emails and I tried phoning them but the rude staff in the call centre say that customer care only deal by email and not phone.

Can anybody offer me some advice, sorry the post is long but i had to explain the circumstances behind it.

Thanks

I wouldn't sweat it. Advise the Italian authorities that you already paid the fine and produce copies of crdit card statements and correspondence with the car rental company where possible.

Also, keep an eye on your CC statements to make sure there's no further deduction.

It's not an extradition issue, so I wouln't sweat it too much.

The initial charge on your credit card was the cost that the car rental companies charge for processing the request from the Italian authorities looking for the owner of the car. Once they(Authorities) have this information, they then contact you directly looking for payment of the fine.

The same thing happens all the time particularly in Florence and Pisa. I got nabbed on Pisa and so did a friend of mine. If you google it, it is widely reported. PM me if you need more information.

Last edited: