Problems loading certain websites - why?

RMCF

Question for the computer boffins on here.

I have been having issues recently with my broadband, with a lot of SERVER NOT FOUND type messages. My provider has sorted most of them out but every now and again I seem to have a few hours when I can't load certain websites, and I was wondering if anyone would know why this is?

For example, I can load up any forum without much hassle. PErhaps because they are only text based. However, other sites with plenty of graphics like Amazon load fine. But if I try to load the likes of a Play.com or the BBC or eBay, I get the green progress bar in the bottom corner of the screen to get to about 90% but it never displays anything and just sticks. Even hotmail doesn't load properly, and you wouldn't say that is a very processor-hungry website.

Any ideas?

Have you tried a different browser (Internet Explorer / Firefox / Chrome) ?
How much RAM is on your PC ?

A page presented in a browser should not, of itself, be processor hungry. Some use a lot of images and Flash content which may place a heavier demand for memory.

For example, my PC is work is a standard configuration. If I try to use satellite imagery in BING Maps, the PC reboots !

I use Firefox, tried Internet Explorer. Got same result.

Anyway, its improved now, I think its more to do with ongling speed issues I have with my wireless provider.

Just baffled as to why some sites load and others don't.

What sort of internet connection do you have? It could be congestion issues if wireless BB with a dongle depending on where you are

Its a wireless system, with a receiver on my roof picking up signal from a transponder on a local hill.