Problem with spyware?

MACTHEKNIFE

Keep getting a pop up (every 5 mins) telling me to see help file at www.spw4c.com

I have einstalled AdAware and have Norton Anti Virus but this bloody thing keeps coming up... any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
MAC

Thanks Rainyday - this is actually a neighbours PC and I had just downloaded Adaware today totry tofix the problem. I'll try someof the hints on the stciky notice later.

It's really annoying that someone can just create an unsoliciated pop up trying to force you to pay $70 and it's very difficult to get rid of unless you buy the software.

MAC

I use a product called Spyware Doctor to clean badly infected machines. I find it better that the MS beta release. It costs about $30 , but it updates with new pattern files when you are online.

If you go to www.download.com and find a piece of software called Spybot. It is free and about the best of the adware removal tools.

Ad-Aware has vulnerabilities that can expose your PC to a virus.

RainyDay said:
Are you mixing up Adware and Adaware?

:)

Nope, I said I had to remove the Ad-aware to fully get rid of this virus.

Still recomend Spybot over Ad-aware any day!!

Wiggles said:
Nope, I said I had to remove the Ad-aware to fully get rid of this virus.
No mention of Ad-aware (uninstalling or otherwise) in the Symantac removal instructions?

Thanks for the feedback folks...... still no luck though.

I downloaded Spybot and ran the application. It identified 10 defects and I immunzed them but still the problem keep appearing. Any other suggestions?

MAC

I received a message that I had a trojan while on the net the other night ( not bb yet) ran norton and also lavasoft adware but no go, Later I received a message on the screen which I assume came from misrosoft which gave me 5 options. Quarantine - failed, Delete - also failed. Exclude -which I assume has worked as the message disappeared. the others which I didnt get around to I think were Stop /Continue. I didnt take a note of the trojan but has anyone else had this experience? I have norton on continuously but I expect one of the terrbible two were downloading rubbish and opened a door to this trojan, but I could be wrong.

cuchulainn said:
I received a message that I had a trojan while on the net the other night ( not bb yet) ran norton and also lavasoft adware but no go, Later I received a message on the screen which I assume came from misrosoft which gave me 5 options. Quarantine - failed, Delete - also failed. Exclude -which I assume has worked as the message disappeared. the others which I didnt get around to I think were Stop /Continue. I didnt take a note of the trojan but has anyone else had this experience? I have norton on continuously but I expect one of the terrbible two were downloading rubbish and opened a door to this trojan, but I could be wrong.

You cannot rely on Norton to always remove the treat. Sometimes it will just flag it and indicate that it cannot remove it. at that stage you need to obtain a removal tool from Norton's website, also a live update and a reboot may also fix. Open the norton control panel go to Histories - Treat Histories and see if there is still an infected file ( I use Symantec V9.0 CE, so your version may be different!!). Take the name of it and go to www.symantec.com to get a removal tool.

Hope this helps.

thanks wiggles. bit bleary eyed now will certainly do that tomorrow/later today.
thanks
cu

If you are running XP try turning 'system restore' off and then running your AV or spyware blocker. Do a full scan of the hard disks. Some malware hides in the 'snapshot' that System Restore takes and reappear after you reboot.

Back