Problem with Solicitor

Trish1

3 years ago, I settled case re road accident. Communication was dreadful with solicitor different staff on the case from time to time but with no advise to me, finally they advised me to settle. I was charged 10% of settlement amount. I had an issue with fees at the outset and was refunded a small amount Recently I have addressed the issue again since it has been a bone of contention. I discovered they received a substantial amount from the insurance companies also. It seems that under section 68 of 1994 Solicitors amendment act, they should not charge % of any settlements, what can I do?

Did they actually say they were charging you 10% of the settlement or did the bill actually amount to 10% of the settlement?

There is a difference between party/party costs and solicitor/client costs. Generally the party/party costs are paid by the insurance company. Some solicitors also charge a solicitor/client fee - there is nothing wrong with this as long as the client has been informed in advance that it is going to happen- ie at the outset of the file or as soon as reasonably possible after the file starts. However if you have an issue with costs which you cannot sort out with your solicitor then you can make a complaint to the law society.

Back