Problem with smoke alarm

feebee

Apologies if I’ve posted this in the wrong place, but can anyone help with a problem I’m having with my smoke alarm.
I’ve done a search and another poster seems to have the same problem
http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?p=250714&highlight=smoke+alarm#post250714

Basically it’s beeping (once) every few minutes.
We’ve pushed the little button on the outside to check that it’s actually working, which it is. From reading the other thread i'm assuming it just needs a new battery?
It's wired up the the mains, is the battery there for back up in the event of a powercut or is the battery needed regardless?

Thanks in advance
feebee

The battery is there to ensure you're protected in the event of a power cut. What type of battery does it use? Some of these use re-chargeable batteries that don't need replacing, others just the standard pp3 that has a limited life. The beeping means you need to replace it.
Leo

Thanks Leo
I'm not sure what type of battery it is, will have to get the Da down to have a look! But it sounds like it needs replacing alright i'll get him to have a look over the weekend.

And maybe check that the unit is actually being powered from the mains and is not simply running off the backup battery all of the time anyway.

Whilst you're changing the battery, get your hoover and suck any dust covering the sensor too.

Thanks everyone, seems like it should be easily fixed.
Clubman thanks i'll check that too, although theres a little green light on inside the alarm, which hopefully means it's powered from the mains.

Morning,
I have a similar problem ques to the original poster. The difference being that my smoke alarm went off this morning, but it was continuous rather than the intermittent beeping that normally suggests the battery needs replacing. It seems to be powered of the mains, with a battery back up (its a Zahler Ionisation type alarm model ZS0102). I was just looking for some reassurance that it is just the battery?
Thanks.

Kitty

What happens when you press the test button? Is it dusty inside?

If you want total reassurance, change the battery and test that it's working by lighting a match or similar near it.
Leo

Thanks for reply Leo.
I pressed the test button this morning to turn it off (well it was the only button on it to press, I didnt actually see the word "test" on it).
I'll get a new battery this morning and test it when I get home from work this evening as you suggest. (I'll also dust it a bit!)
Thanks
Kitty

had the same issue. a new 9V battery done the trick. would recomend using a duracell rather then some of the other cheapo ones.
can be a buit of a pain getting the cover off. use a steady steps. the cover with the batter will be attahced to the main unit via a wire with a small socket, you can unplug this and then change the battery.

Hi there,
Thanks for all the replies. The update is that: I changed the battery (with some difficulty - It was so hard to pry it out and it eventually fell out onto my upturned face!) and hit the test button - but there was no sound (like the ones in my previous place) just a little red light flashed everytime i pressed the test button (is that the norm?). I then lit some paper under it to check if it was working and all seems to be in order.

Thanks.
Kitty