Problem with new stove

Roundy#

I've just had a Stovax multi fuel installed last week. It has been a major pain in the h~#e since I had it fitted by a local supplier/agent.

Nasty fumes seem to be coming from the unit - and the smoke alarm is constantly been triggered in the room. My local agent was surprised to hear about my difficulties - and forwarded my details onto Stovax.

Stovax have advised that I light a large fire and keep in burning for 7/8 hours. They do not seem too concerned and seem to think that this is a common problem - and that the excessive heat will burn off these fumes!!

I'm not too sure that this is good advice. Has anyone had problems with wood burning stoves before?

i came across a few posts on this before, when looking for info on stanley and other stoves, and apparenty is a protective film on the inside of the stove to stop rust etc, and after a few fires, a good long burn they will disappear

Yes, I had the same problem with my Jotul - for the first few days I lit a small fire to gradually heat up the stove and then I lit a larger fire to "burn-off" the fumes. No problems since (the same thing has to be done with an electric oven when its new)

The fumes are brutal and they sting the eyes - talk about protecting theoz one layer!

my installer cleaned the stove after installation with WD40 of all things. It looked sparkling but when I lit a fire it gave off serious smoke and fumes. It was horrible.

Yeah, thanks guys........thankfully after lighting a large fire yesterday afternoon.......and after a few hours fumes finally gone and system seems to be working fine!

Back