Problem with new phone - Motorola V3x

Cahir

I recently upgraded to a Motorola V3x and every night from about 7pm the signal disappears and it says Emergency Only. It's not the reception as my work mobile is also vodafone and that has a full reception. I rang vodafone last night and they said it might be a problem with the phone or the sim card. I tried the sim card in my old phone and it worked fine so I'm guessing it's a problem with the phone.

I know that because the phone is faulty I'm entitled to repair, replace or refund but can I insist on a replacement without getting them to try to repair it first? After spending so much on the phone (after months of research) I'd rather not go through weeks of hassle with vodafone trying to repair it when I could just get a working version of what I've already paid for.

Also, if they do agree to replace the phone, can I ask that they refund the €5 I spent on a game because obviously that wouldn't be on the new phone?

is it a RAZR ? they are supposed to be awfully buggy

make sure you return it within 1 month of purchase, they should not quibble over it.

Yep it's a RAZR. It worked in a different location the other night but all day today it's been "Emergency Only". I also found another bug today with the contacts list, very frustrating!

I have the exact same phone and since i bought it i have changed phones and sim cards twice! With the contacts list it freezes and this initally was due to 2 ring tones being assigned to the one number/name. So i fixed that but it sometimes wont let me into a contact and i have to delete it and re enter the contact!!! I would change phones only for i signed up for 18mth contract and it would be too costly. Only got phone on xmas eve!!!

Well i have had no problems with this third phone... vodafone shop said it was a software problem and i just got 2 bad phones!!!! I was lucky because my time limit to return faulty phone (within 1 month) was up the day i was in with the last problem!!!!! But if i could sell it, and get a good price for it, i would, and get another (more reliable) 3g phone and just use sim. that way i wont be breaking my contract and incur any penalties!

It's been working fine since yesterday which is strange but good. I think I'll bring it to the vodafone shop during the week anyway.

Cahir said:
Hmmm, I'm thinking I should go back to good old reliable Nokia....

Sorry to laugh but i've had a phone for 11 years and i find nokia the worst for breaking down.....but they have the best menu.

i have the motorola v3x its the 3g model and even with software upgrades its not great, so i rang 3 and a new model was delievered to my door within 24 hours.

to be honest i dont think any mobile is very good or how can it bee when you see the amount of hours it works for tand the abuse it takes.

lg are bringing out some great models at the mo.

I see two posters have mentioned time limits of 1 month to return faulty phones, where is this time limit coming from? I would have thought under the Sale of Goods Act you could have longer than this if the goods are faulty, a phone that craps out after 5 weeks is clearly not of merchantable quality. If its the phone company's policy don't treat that as set in stone as you have rights under consumer legislation which cannot be waived even if their is a contract purporting to do so.

well said dam099, not enough people use this law for their own basic rights as a consumer in the country.

Its 1 month no quibble, then the bastards quibble . If a phone so much as blinks out of turn I always bring it back, even if its not really that faulty so consider me proactive if you will !

The phone f**ked up again during the night. I'm not happy. The fecking alarm, which was set, didn't go off because the phone is a piece of cr*p so I didn't have time for breakfast and now I'm cranky

The date on the letter I got with the phone is 27th Feb so it's within the month. I'm going to go into a shop today to try to get them to replace it or give me my money back. I hope the fact that I ordered it online won't be a problem.

Bought it online on the vodafone website.

Went into the vodafone shop today (as the helpdesk told me to) but they wouldn't replace it because I bought it online. While there, the bloke in the shop called the helpdesk and they told me to send the phone back for repair. I told them that I wanted a replacement and was told to bring it to a shop. Then I said that I'd send the phone back if they refunded my money and cancelled the contract so I could change network.

After about 20 mins on hold the helpdesk bloke told me they'd send a courier to work today to pick up the phone. I asked if they'd also send a replacement phone with the courier and he said yes. I asked him to confirm that and he again said yes.

About an hour later I got a call from the courier company (logistic something) confirming that they'd pick up the phone and asking what was wrong. At the end of the conversation I checked that the replacement phone would arrive with the courier but the girl said that the replacement would be sent on Thursday. I told her that wasn't acceptable and that the vodafone bloke confirmed that I would have the replacement today. She emailed vodafone to get them to call her back (don't know why she wouldn't just call) and told me she'd get back to me. I'm still waiting to hear from her and just getting more peed off by the minute!!

it really is a joke, mobiles give up every day, i worked in motarola and if a phone failed the test we just binned it, that is how little the margin is on them.