Problem with my VW polo exhaust

karlod

Hi

I have a 98 polo, generally in pretty good condition. Only 78000 on the clock. I walked out behind it the other day and saw something not unlike a clump from a wig hanging from the exhaust. I thought some kids might have been messing in my estate in dub. (im in a hotel in Sligo when this was happened)
So I pulled out the ‘wig’ and thought nothing else of it.
Driving home on Sunday from Sligo, just before Mullingar, I notice a funny smell and then smoke in the back of the car. Pulled in, emptied the boot and found nothing.
I looked at the exhaust again and noticed the same wig looking material. Could say its like Nylon. I look on top of the exhaust and the there was a bigger clump of this material and its melting a bit. So I removed it and everything was fine. I wondered if I ran over something but nothing else there. Started the car again and now I have a big sound coming from the exhaust. Kind Boy racerish (on a stock exhaust). Now I imagine I have a hole of some sort but any idea of what the Wig like stuff is? Has it anything to do with the exhaust itself or the muffler or that?
Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks
Karl

An exhaust is packed with sound insulation, You're after pulling all of yours out, hence the boy racer sounds..

Ah, i see. I had no idea what it was! Had to pull it out because it was smoking!!
Is this a garage job to get fixed?

Cheapest and easiest way is probably a new exhaust form one of the quik fitters.. Ring around first to get the best price..

You could get your old one repacked but its probably more hassle and more expensive..

I recently got one fixed by fastfit for around 160 quid this include middle section of exhaust system as it was also badly rusted, if you just need the box then it would be around 90 quid or so.

Back