Problem with MP3 and wireless broadband

Ron_H

I recharge my MP3 player by connecting it to my computer using a USB cable. However when I do this it causes my wireless broadband to drop - seems to cause the Netgear wireless USB adapter to fail. Anybody got an idea as to how I can fix this?

Do you get any warning/error messages or are there any warning/error events in the Windows Event Log (Google for "Windows Event Log" if you need help on this)? Possibly drawing too much power from the internal USB hub to which the two USB ports are connected. If you have other USB ports try them in case they are independently powered or on different internal hubs. Otherwise you may need to get an external independently powered (through a transformer/PSU) USB hub to avoid the charging MP3 player drawing too much power and affecting other USB ports in use.

Still reckon it's a power issue. If the MP3 player's non USB charger is rated as c. 500mA (I presume it's c. 5V) then it will probably max out a USB hub and affect any other ports connected to that hub. Not getting enough power might well cause a USB wireless adaptor to drop the connection.

I've got about 7 devices running off one USB port without any issue.. I'd always check the drivers first on a windows pc

7 devices that draw less than 500mA in total will be fine. 1 device that draws 500mA or thereabouts will probably cause problems.

Looking at the manual for the MP3 devise it talks about a voltage of 3.7V.

I looked at the event manager and got the following message under the security event viewer "IPSec Services: IPSec Services failed to get the complete list of network interfaces on the machine. This can be a potential security hazard to the machine since some of the network interfaces may not get the protection as desired by the applied IPSec filters. Please run IPSec monitor snap-in to further diagnose the problem.".

Under the system event viewer I see the following message "The system detected that network adapter \DEVICE\TCPIP_**************} was disconnected from the network, and the adapter's network configuration has been released. If the network adapter was not disconnected, this may indicate that it has malfunctioned. Please contact your vendor for updated drivers."
Does this mean its a driver problem?

What's the mA rating for your MP3 player and your wireless adaptor? If these add up to 500mA or more then chances are it's a power problem.

Not sure if we are talking the same language but the wireless adapter is 5V and the MP3 3.7V so a total of 8.7V