Problem with modem & home phone line

T

tinah

Hi All
I am having a problem at the moment that is driving me up the wall. I set up an internet connection on a home pc for my niece. The connection worked perfectly in work but when I got to her house it kept coming back with a message "no dial tone". I took it up to my house (only 4 doors away) and plugged it in and everything is working perfectly. It just will not connect from her house!! I would love to know if anyone else has come across this problem before..and if they solved it...
Many thanks
Tina

No dial tone means exactly that.
The phone cable or extension is faulty.
Check the extension cable by attaching a phone to it and get a dial tone there first.

Hi Runner
I am using the same phone cable in all locations..and when I plug back in their house phone the house phone has a dial tone!! I am bewildered..

However, the only thing that is different is that they pay Eircom for line rental and some other company for the calls - not sure if this is an issue..

What phone number are you dialing for your ISP? Plug the phone into that extension and dial the number manually, does it answer and give you the fax like tones, or does it drop the line or play back a message?
Leo

Do they have call answering ? I know this used to cause problems a few years ago with some US robotics modems .... as soon as the modem was turned on it would effectively "pick up" the line and if a number wasn't dialed in time call answering would cut in and a no dialtone msg would come up.

You can also try hyperterminal to test the line and modem, open hypertrm give the session any name, select the com port the modem is connected to or the modem itself but don't enter a number, ok the next screen or 2 until you get a blank white page then do the following hitting enter after each one

at
ate1 - this turns on screen echo
atz - this resets the modem
adtd 1891.... or whatever the isp number is.

If you get a no carrier message or no dialtone then there is a problem with it seeing the modem/phone line.

Leo, I can dial the 1890923204 from the phone that is plugged into the socket that I am using and I get the correct "connection noises"...

Runner, the socket is Ok as it is the main phone socket and I unplug the house phone to plug in the connection for the internet..

Paddyc, I will try the hyperterminal tonight so fingers crossed..

Your time is much appreciated

t

Use the the lead from the socket to the telepone as the feed cable. It is possible that your lead is wired to suit your telephone socket but not the other socket.There are 4 wires on a telephone lead.Depending on the wiring or the socket. The inner or the outer wires,in the lead could be the feed.

tinah, dying to hear how you fix this because I had a similar problem a few months ago that I never did resolve....Can't imagine what the problem was..tried absolutely everything!

You could also try dialling your mobile or another landline from the PC, if it rings then the modem is doing it's job - obviously you won't be able to speak to the modem.

Back