Problem with iTunes

Homer

I've just downloaded the latest version of iTunes.

After downloading, I opened iTunes and found that my entire playlist had disappeared! This included all the CDs I had loaded onto iTunes and a number of songs I had downloaded from the iTunes store.

I'm afraid to re-connect my Ipod in case everything on that gets wiped. Has anyone encountered this problem before and is there any way I can upload the songs from my IPod to my PC so that I can add some new CDs I bought recently?

Thanks
Homer

I'd say its just lost your library file or the location of yout media file.
In Itunes select Edit> Preferances>Advanced & confirm the location of the itunes music folder.
Also check in the iTunes folder there is a file called iTunes Library.itl

Hi Colm

Thanks for your reply.

I did as you suggested and it points to a folder called iTunes Music in C:\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\, but this only seems to contain a number of folders by artist. When I go into iTunes, it brings me into something called iTunes DJ, which doesn't seem to recognise any of my songs.

I'm probably doing something very stupid, but I can't figure out what it is.

Homer

When you open iTunes under library click music & it should show all you tracks.
If so go back into preferances & advanced make sure copy files to itunes music folder when adding to library is checked.
Also goto File>Library> Consolidate library... This will make sure all your music
is in the location mentioned above.

I've just downloaded the latest version of iTunes.

After downloading, I opened iTunes and found that my entire playlist had disappeared! This included all the CDs I had loaded onto iTunes and a number of songs I had downloaded from the iTunes store.

I'm afraid to re-connect my Ipod in case everything on that gets wiped. Has anyone encountered this problem before and is there any way I can upload the songs from my IPod to my PC so that I can add some new CDs I bought recently?

Thanks
Homer

Did you previously have your itunes on an external hard drive? Sorry if that sounds patronising, but it's a very common issue.

If not, it's best to run a search for your old library. ITunes wouldn't have overwritten or deleted this, so it's on your hard drive somewhere. When you do, it's a matter of changing your preferences to that folder. Then consolidate your library.

There's plenty of freeware out there that can help you back up the music on your ipod too. If you've got it set to automatically sync with itunes, you're better off not connecting until your library is sorted. If it's set to manual you'll be ok.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I have not moved the files from another drive and I'm not aware of having done anything apart from loading the new version of iTunes. Having said this, I'm not the only one using this computer and it's possible someone might have changed the default settings.

I managed to find most (but not all) of the songs I had saved in an iTunes folder. When I went into the sub-folders (which are arranged by artist) using Windows Explorer, I found that the songs are appearing as MPEG4 files and when I click on them individually, they appear in my iTunes library and I can play them using iTunes.

As I have quite a lot of songs, I don't want to have to click all of them individually in order to restore them to iTunes. I'd also like to find my missing files. For example, I can find Bat out Of Hell II, but not the original BOOH, although I copied both from CDs I own. (No negative comments on my taste in music, please).

Thanks
Homer

Further to my earlier posting, what I'd like to be able to do is to upload the playlist from my iPod to my PC. Then I could add some new DCs I've bought recently and copy them back to my iPod.

Is there a simple way of doing this?

Thanks
Homer

Back