Problem with Heating System

suzyann

I am having problems with our heating system. My husband bled the rads two nights ago and since then when we turn on the heating - it is igniting but all rads are not heating (the thermostat is correct) - It is makeing a guzzling noise as if it is blocked but we have already bled all the rads - We also checke dthe water in the tank in the attick and the pressure seems fine. Anyone any idea what could be causing this?

did you turn the valve in the hot press after you bled the rads?

If its gaas you might have to do this - I remember this happening me last year and my friends dad instructed me over the phone to release the valve in the hot press. Its round red and spoked (like a wheel).

There are usually loads of red valves in the hot press and without your friends dad on the phone OP is likely to turn the wrong one.

One thing that happens is that your thermostatic valves seized up after a long lot summer! Take off the white head of the valves and give the pin on the brass part a push or even a squirt of wd40.

Also the tank in the attic you should be checking is a small black one, ie you should have two tanks in the attic. If you don't have a small one you have a little red barrell somewhere with a valve and gauge leading to it. You need to let more water into the system if you have that guage and red barrell. Gauge should be around 1 bar when system cold. You will have to bleed a bit and let a bit of water in. After a few nights you should be able to get rid of the gurgling sound.

Thanks for all your help but still no joy.

There are 2 larger tanks in attic and a red ball drum. The pressure is just above 1 bar which appears to be the expected.

I bled the rads again this morning until had a steady flow of water from each and increased the pressure there after...

The only place I can't get to is the Gas boiler ... is it possible that it can get air locked... as it will fire up for 2 - 3 mins and then a hissing noise... Sound like there is no water (or very little) making its way in to the boiler... Sounds very like boiling a kittle with very little water in it... to date the pump has not kicked in... But think the Gas boiler is preventing it from kicking in...

I am all out of Ideas ..

If the house isn't to old, there could be motorised valves involved, and if the mv for the rads circuit is broke, your boiler could still sound like its running but the mv hasn't actually opened when asked, if this is the prob you can open the valve manually with the leaver on the side

I'm not a plumber, but it sounds like an airlock at the boiler. On top of my boiler is a valve which you can use to release any air in the boiler itself - definitely worth checking - its sort of spring loaded.

Thanks - we have tried everything but to no avail so will be getting a plumber hopefully to shed light on what is wrong

sounds like u may have a leek in your heat exchanger, the hissing noise is the sound of the water leaking onto the gas burner and the water is putting out the burner flame and therefore cuts out after a couple of minutes.
This happened me a few years after I bought my new house and the cause was that my heating ssytem was just slapped in and never properly setup which i would guess is very common nowadays. the burner flame was too hot and eventually burned a hole in the metal heat exchanger.
I sourced a heat exchanger and replace it myself and setting up the burner is simple enuf too.

Turns out to be the pump is gone - we need to replace with anew one . Does anyone have an estimate of how much I can expect to pay to get a plumber to supply and fit a new pump
Thanks