problem with dodgy mechanic

B

blueoval

Hi my problem is that 5 months ago the engine went in my car so i brought the car to this mechanic who was going to fit the new engine.

A month later i sourced an engine and was given a 2 week garentee with it.

After a week i rang my mechanic to see was the engine ok, he said it was perfect and he would drop the car to my house.

I said grand this went on for a couple of weeks till i got sick of it so i landed to his garage to collect the car and the car wasnt there.

He said it was at his friends house, who was finishing it off as he was too busy to finish it.

So i said ok taught you said it was finished in my own mind.

I then found out where the car was to find that the cam belt had slipped and bent valves while one of the mechanics was driving it.

Now the mechanic wont answer his phone and wants no more to do with it and says its his friends problem and his friends says its not his problem.

Basically im down €500 euro from an engine that was 100% and will have to buy another engine what can i do legally

You sue your mechanic who can, if he wishes, join his friend to the action and try to recoup from him.

First step tell your mechanic your contract was with him, fact that his friend was involved not your problem, but his. He is to fix/pay.

Failing that, solicitors letter.

Failing that, court action.

You seldom hear of cam belts slipping and bending valves.

You need to set up a paper trail on this.

And gain possession of the car.

Was this a simple case of someone inexpertly fitted the engine timing belt and taking the car for a test/drive blast or else over-revving it mercilessly?

Or did somone swap your newly-sourced good condition engine for a defective one and devise the story you heard to cover it up?

I hope you know the engine and chassis numbers of both the engine you had and the engine you sourced and your car.

Either way you were shabbily treated by the mechanic you first brought the car to.

Is he qualified and insured to do this work?

Is the second "mechanic" in this position?

Possibly neither of them are.

Proceed from there.

ONQ.

vanilla and onq thanks for the replies.
I have decided to go to the small claims court with my problem.
Is this the best route to go.
Can any body suggest how to word my claim in my application form.
Can i claim for nearly 6 months tax and insurance whilst the mechanic has my car and i am on foot patrol.

Back