Problem with architect

ang1170

I’m in the middle of trying to get a fairly large extension to our house built. It’s a long enough story: briefly we decided to do it properly and engaged the services of an architect, based on the RIAI contract of services to be provided. We eventually (after two planning applications and various revisions) went out to tender and have two quotes (both way beyond the initial budget) we’ve just received.

Anyway our current difficulty is that our architect, who has been less and less responsive of late, has made it clear that he’d prefer not to continue with the project (the impression I get is that his company have other larger jobs they want to work with).

We’re not really in dispute, and we can almost certainly sort out contractual/payments etc., and I think we’re actually better off with someone we don’t have to keep chasing.

My question is how likely it is we will find another architect to take over the last quarter of the work involved? I know at this stage we could probably get by without an architect to complete the work, getting an engineer to sign off on the contractor’s work. However, we feel really uncomfortable without someone there to check what’s being built matches the plans, to answer any queries the builder might have during the build, assistance in selecting some of the suppliers etc. etc.

Is it realistic for us to get someone to step in at this stage, and any ideas on where we could look for them if so?

You can get another architect to take over the project. You need to make sure that all fees to the original architect are paid up, etc. They will give you a set of the drawings as done for tender stage. Most architects will do this, of course there are a few who will be stubborn and refuse, I think there could have been another thread on this somewhere on AAM.
If you're not in dispute with them and all money has been paid, then they shouldn't refuse you asking for the drawings and taking them to another architect. You never know, they might be only willing for you to take the project away, especially if you think they are more interested in larger clients.

i am worried that youve stated that both quotes youve recieved are way beyond your initial stated budget.... it is one of the main responsibilities of the architect to ensure the design can come within budget.... so basically what they have done is of no use to you????>......!!!if i was you i would check through the conditions of contract and bargin down the architect on his costs based on the fact that you will nedd to get the design / spec augmented to come within budget, and if he is not going to do it you will have to pay someone else..... i certainly wouldnt get in a huff, but keep things factual and clear.......

We've just gone through a renovation/refurb/extension build and I can sympathise with anyone doing it. Never having done anything like it before, there is no way we would have managed without our architect throughout the project. From design all the way through. Loads of issues came up, where a range of solutions had to be considered and we would have ended up muddling through instead of being able to trust the advice and judgment of architect and builder ( who very often disagreed about how best to handle things - in a very minor way) to find best solutions. Just as regards the costs : anyone I've spoken to tells me that build costs are high and the RIAI scales are not in touch with what is happening on the ground. That was certainly our experience and, anecdotally, that seems to be the case, certainly in Dublin.

I wonder would the orginal architect recommend someone else to take it on? A lot of professionals do not like taking on a job left by someone else for all kinds of reasons so at least if it was someone the original architect knew?

mf

i am worried that youve stated that both quotes youve recieved are way beyond your initial stated budget.... it is one of the main responsibilities of the architect to ensure the design can come within budget.... so basically what they have done is of no use to you????>......!!!if i was you i would check through the conditions of contract and bargin down the architect on his costs based on the fact that you will nedd to get the design / spec augmented to come within budget, and if he is not going to do it you will have to pay someone else..... i certainly wouldnt get in a huff, but keep things factual and clear.......

Part of the increase is down to ourselves, in that we've increased the scope of what we're doing. However, even taking this into account the tender prices are still over. We can probably cut back on some of the finishes to make it possible. The prices being quoted do not seem to bear much relation to the various quoted price per sq. m. rates you see (although I imagine there's quite a "Dublin premium" we're being asked to pay).

Overall, we're happy enough with the design. Not too happy with the service, but we'd be happy enough for a clean break.

I guess my main concern is the possible difficulty we'd have in getting someone to take over. I would imagine that some architects mightn't like to finish off someone else's work. Another issue might be concerns they'd have as to why we're not continuing on with our existing architect.

Anyone with any ideas on where we could look for someone?

We've just gone through a renovation/refurb/extension build and I can sympathise with anyone doing it. Never having done anything like it before, there is no way we would have managed without our architect throughout the project. From design all the way through. Loads of issues came up, where a range of solutions had to be considered and we would have ended up muddling through instead of being able to trust the advice and judgment of architect and builder ( who very often disagreed about how best to handle things - in a very minor way) to find best solutions.

Would you recommend the architect you've used? do you think they'd consider something like the situation we're in? PM me if you'd prefer.

Just as regards the costs : anyone I've spoken to tells me that build costs are high and the RIAI scales are not in touch with what is happening on the ground. That was certainly our experience and, anecdotally, that seems to be the case, certainly in Dublin.

I'd agree with this. I apreciate that extensions are always going to be more expensive than new-builds, but even taking this into account they're high. It's further complicated in our case as we're doing quite a bit of work to the existing house, so it's dofficult to get a comparative per sq. m. rate.

I wonder would the orginal architect recommend someone else to take it on? A lot of professionals do not like taking on a job left by someone else for all kinds of reasons so at least if it was someone the original architect knew?

mf

That's one of the things I was planning to do (i.e. ask can they suggest someone to take over). I'd like to look at completely independent options too, though.

Hve a look in the golden pages, there'll be RIAI listed architects in you area that you can ring.

Back