Problem starting volkswagon golf.

Ash 22

Problem starting car. Been to a mechanic who deals with electrics and he put in a solognite switch. Problem is still there, mechanic says he cant figure out what else bar a faulty battery, the battery is new, he's going to take another look. Sometimes car starts no problem, more times it takes awhile before it gets going. Anybody out there have any ideas please?

Petrol or diesel? What year? (mechanic probably changed the solenoid on the starter motor).

Re: Problem starting Ford Mondeo.

This sounds a lot like a problem I have with my 2003 Ford Mondeo. It starts first time most of the time but not everytime. Sometimes it won't start straight away and needs to be started again. It's an intermittentfault. It might happen once in a fortnight. I tried getting it fixed but the main dealers I went to couldn't find any problem with it. One main dealer suggested I press down on the accelerator each time I turn off the engine. He said in my model (2003 Ford Mondeo 2 litre petrol) an airlock can build in the intake manifold and needs to be relieved before the engine will start. This sounds like gobbledeguck to me. I tried doing as he suggested for a while but it doesn't make much/any difference. The problem is so intermittent anyway that any difference would be hard to detect. I now just live with it.

Seamus

I had a similar problem with my 00 Golf. Problem wa a faulty temperature gauge in the engine. It was diagnosed in seconds by bringing to a VW garage, they connect a computer to the engine and it tells computer what problem is. Basically, the car thought the temp in engine was much higher so the on board computer ould not allow engine start, would take a while to start. Fixed problem very quickly and cost about €90 to fix

Yes while you are at the main dealers

Perhaps you could ask them as to why they have been trading on a badge since the Mark III Golf?

I don't think the pimply 20-something types working in a 'main dealer' will understand what a mark III Golf is...

Took the car back just for one more check to the usual guy who has done this before. He checked back all the way and could'nt find any problem atall so I guess its definitely off to the vw garage now.

is it hard starting? does it start when hot or cold?
The throttle bodies have a problem with clogging from dirt over time,also the coolant temp sensor can be changed when the throttle body is cleaned.

I had a 98 Golf TDI, similar problem had a new solineid fitted and sorted it, could also be a faulty key or immobiliser reader? I'm sure your mechanic has ruled out the starter itself? Would agree a trip to the VW computer would draw a line under the problem.

hi there i know this is an old post but my problem is new, tried to start my car yesterday, no luck. Same today, got a mate with jump leads to try jump start me and no luck, battery seems to be ok so he thinks its the starter. We tried to pop the clutch too by pushing it up the road no success.. does anyone know how much this is going to cost me to sort if i need a new starter?

... does anyone know how much this is going to cost me to sort if i need a new starter?

Same questions as before - make model year petrol or diesel.

I don't think I know of a psychic motor technicians on here - "Wait, wait, I'm getting a message from beyond; there's a B, I think and I'm getting a strong V sign. No, its not a rude gesture, yes, yes, I see it now. Is it a Bugatti Veyron? No - well is it a Bleedin' Volkswagen, then?" :rolleyes:

Back