problem receiving e-mails

A

andy

I have e-mail account with eircom. When I log on to eircom webmail, some incoming e-mails do not appear. They appear on outlook express without having to log on to eircom webmail. How do I get these e-mails that appear on outlook express to also appear on eircom webmail.

Hi
The problem looks like that Outlook express is downloading the mails from the Eircom web site to your machine and then deletes them on the Eircom server. Then when you login to Eircom webmail they are gone. On Outlook goto TOOLS-> ACCOUNTS-> "select the Eircom account" and then PROPERTIES-> ADVANCED , at the bottom there is an option to leave a copy of email on the server , click that and try it out. Good luck..

mails

beldin
Thanks. I made that change you suggested (it had not been ticked), but I doubt it is the explanation - because not all mails were removed from the eircom server. The mails that were on outlook express were not on eircom server, and mails that were on eircom server were not on outlook express.
Is it caused by the settings on the senders machine.

Re: mails

Actually I think it does explain it.
Outlook will only download new unread mails when it is a POP account.(open to correction here). Therefore if you read an email using webmail then Outlook will ignore it and won't download it. If you use outlook to download an email it would remove it from the eircom servers(before ticking that box).
The problem is that the email sever protocol is very stupid and is just designed to use either the webmail or the outlook accesses. If you use both then you end up with emails on one system that aren't on the other.
The only way around this is to use one or the other but not both. Sorry if this isn't helping. Either way the eircom server should now have all the emails left on it.

p.s. I have just tried my own idea and outlook downloaded read and unread emails so I stand corrected. The only other thing I can think of is if you are using more than one machine with outlook to download emails. Outlook should download all emails regardless of the server settings. At least if the emails are left on the server you can verify it. Maybe the server is deleting read messages ??

mails

Thanks again. Looks like you were right all along. since I set outlook to leave copy on eircom webmail, my incoming mails are appearing in both outlook & eircom webmail. Problem solved.

beldin said
=============================================
p.s. I have just tried my own idea and outlook downloaded read and unread emails so I stand corrected.
=============================================

Hi

I had the similar problem as the one above with eircom.net account and following advice from AAM - I ticked "Leave copy on server". Which it did indeed do. But outlook still does not pull down read emails [i.e. those read via the web interface] - it pulls down only unread ones.

Is there any other settings to tweak given that I have quoted beldin above and he says he can pull down both types.

Thanks for any help

mails

My problem is not solved after all. Very baffling now. Some unread incoming mails are now appearing on both outlook & eircom webmail. Other unread incoming mails are on eircom webmail only, & not on outlook - after I read these on eircom webmail, they dont appear on outlook, but stay on eircom webmail.

if you read your email using webmail, it is removed from the eircomnet mail server and stored on the web server (a simplification). Therefore it is no longer available to download using oatlook or any similar email programme.

If you need to both download your email and read it over the web, use www.mail2web.com
It won't show you emails already downloaded using outlook, if you haven't the option ticked to remove from server. BTW there are quotas on the mail server. Also if there are a lot of archived emails left on the server, it takes time for your email program to download the headers and work out which emails it neeeds to retrieve ..
jd

mails

My problem is, that if I am expecting mails, I would like to avoid the frustration of accessing outlook express to read them & find they are not there - then I have to access eircom webmail & I will find them there & vice versa. I would like them to appear on both, so that they would be on both channells, no matter which channell I access to read them.

The only way to do that is to download them on outlook express first. Once you use webmail,outlook express can no longer "see" the emails on the mail server because they have been moved. There is no way around this at the moment afaik.

mails

The only way to do that is to download them on outlook express first.
How do I do this. How do I get incoming mails to appear on outlook express first & stop them going thru to eircom webmail until I have read them on outlook.

mails

Thanks for the help. mail2web is the solution. Also, if I access outlook first for new mails, they will stay on both outlook & eircom after they are read. Whereas, if I access eircom first for new mails, they will only stay on eircom & never appear on outlook. This means I am sure to find all mails, read & unread on eircom.

Back