problem installing AVG free

rheinie

Have been trying to install avg free but every time I download and try to install I get the following error Installation ( error action failed for file avg dos creating file changing language to 67698688 failed general failure ) what could be the problem and how can I overcome it.Have been useing avg free with no problems but had to uninstall it and problem has only popped up since then .Thanks in advance

Sorry for Hijacking this thread but - I was hoping to swap from Norton to AVG, should I remove the Norton program before downloading the AVG Program?

podgerodge said:
yes, no 2 anti virus programs work well together.
Are you sure about that? I thought that you could run more than one at the same time? Or at least have more than one installed but only one configured for background scanning and the other available for manual scans?

Its not exactly recommended I imagine. Considering one av program doing a scan is probably seen as another av program as a threat because it is accessing files. Also if they both run realtime protection they might both try to access a file at the same time. I wouldn't run more than one at a time.

podgerodge said:
yes, no 2 anti virus programs work well together.

I run AVG and AVAST , both active realtime ( if that's the correct vernacular ) with no problems as far as I can see. I assumed that one would have a better chance of preventing probs with virsuses etc with two anti virus programmes running. I freely admit to being no expert techwise though. :)

ClubMan said:
Do you have both of them active/background scanning at the same time?
Both at the active and background scannning at the same time. Also have other AV and anti-spyware solutions running with no issues (apart from the performance overhead but I am happy to pay that to keep my machine clean)

rheinie - did you find anything in those Google links to figure out your problem? It looks like manually deleting any AVG related files left over after the uninstall was run may be the trick even though I cautioned against deleting files in this way elsewhere recently! :eek:

Maybe going off on a tangent a little now but did find Google search informative .Tried to delete avg files of which I found 68 but could only delete about 25 of them found them by doing search all files with avg in name.Followed some of the other advice and went to add/ remove programmes and tried to remove avg but was unable got some message no file exists .Now hope this makes sense went to local computer store got copy norton 2005 installed it, every thing seeemed to go ok until I open emails takes ages to download a few emails guess norton is scanning them .Now for another interesting problem I had a downloaded version of norton which I got refund for could not get it to run properly,now every time I open outlook I get this download message to download norton again this happened all the time with down load version reason for refund.Am really confused now

Capaill said:
I use both Norton and AVG with no problems

According to AVG's website
"Is it safe to have 2 anti-virus programs on one computer?
It is not recommended to run 2 antivirus or firewall products on one computer at the same time.

This also applies when the products are manufactured by different vendors, or when using different versions of a product from a single vendor. The "resident shield" functionality of the products may conflict with each other, resulting in unpredictable behavior in your computer, as well as not responding appropriately to a potential virus threat.

Be sure to uninstall or disable all other antivirus or firewall programs on your computer when using a new antivirus/firewall program."

According to symantec:
"Symantec strongly recommends that you run only one antivirus program at a time. Having more than one antivirus program active in memory uses additional resources and can result in program conflicts and false virus alerts"

So maybe even if they both looking like they are working you are having invisible conflicts? I don't know, I've only ever used one at a time.

Podgerodge

Luckily have ample resources on my machine and have a technical background. And as stated before have no issues running the two av packages above on this machine or on other machines in the past.

yes it can be a resource hog but I accept that for the additional protection that it brings.

Rhenie
Had a similar issue myself with Norton and email scanning. In my case I turned it off and rely on the other scanners to scan my email.
This link may help
http://www.computergripes.com/nortonantivirus2004.html

C

C

If you have a look at this thread it has a link to an AVG forum which answers a lot of AVG questions. Found it handy before when AVG acted up on me.

The basic problem with running 2 anti-virus programs in the background is that when a virus is discovered, both of them will try to deal with it at the same time and this will definitely have unpredictable results.

If an anti-virus program is to be any use it has to be capable of pre-empting *all* other file system actions when a virus is discovered. You can't have two applications both capable of pre-empting each other and expect them to work properly.

It is a good idea to use two anti-virus products, but only one configured to scan every file read or write. Schedule the two of them to do complete scans overnight, but don't configure them to scan files on access.

z

Yeah - that's what I trying to say above. I reckon one can use multiple scanners with one configured for live/on access checking and any others only used for manual scanning (one at a time). I certainly wouldn't have more than one scanner configured for "live" checking.

Thanks for all the comments found most helpfull .My present position is I have managed to delete most of the avg files and a download programme from a download version of norton which I think was one of my main problems.I have installed norton from disk and everything seems to work ok .thanks again

Back