Problem getting insured to import UK car!

familyguy

I recently took out a new policy with a new insurer after they offered the best quote, having previously been with 123.ie.

I purchased a car in the UK and am trying to arrange it's collection however when I called my insurer to ask about a temporary switch over to the UK car they said they would not cover me as I am not the registered owner and because I have just recently taken out a policy on an Irish vehicle.

I want to bring the new car in and once I have sold my current car (it's currently up for sale) I was planning to transfer my policy over permanently.

I had no choice but to take out my new policy despite being on the lookout for a new vehicle as I needed it for work and personal purposes.

Is there any way around this? Obviously there's no way I can bring the car back without insurance?

The car is declared SORN in the UK and therefore won't have any insurance on it so I can't ask the seller to change over to his policy either not that it would be possible anyway as far as I know.

I'm not sure if I have any options here.

Ask your insurer again- I've done this in the past without any difficulty, more than once in fact. You get a temporary switch until you get the Irish reg and then you get the permanent cert.

If you use a company such as nvd.ie to deliver your car, then their insurance will cover it fully while they have the car.

If you use a company such as nvd.ie to deliver your car, then their insurance will cover it fully while they have the car.

The only problem there is I still have to get over and pay for it aswell as check the car out first hand.

Using that company means splashing out an extra 250 euro which I'd rather not have to if possible.

Thanks for the reply though.

I'd hazard a guess if the UK vehicle has a SORN it means it is off the road and therefore may not even have a valid MOT, are you sure it's such a great deal? Perhaps this is the reason with insurance company is dragging it's heals. Personally I have never had a problem in arranging cover either way, that is UK reg for for Ireland and IRL to UK as I have had to do both at different times.
I guess if you ask exactly what is the problem from the insurer they will tell you and then you may sort it out. I actually never heard of them being difficult in swapping insurance before. I one had to swap 4 times in one week!