Probation Period Extended Unfairly

Sorry, I can't read that huge slab of text. You'll improve your chances of getting feedback if you break it into sentences and paragraphs.

I had no problem reading it, so I take it you have edited it, thank you.

As you have discovered HR are there to protect the company and not the employee.

Until you have completed a full year, the company can let you go without giving any reason. If you leave of your own accord you will have a waiting period for SW.

So here's my advice.

1. Stop talking to colleagues about it. I understand the upset, and the need to talk so find some one out side work where you can off load.

2. Record all the actions of said manager re work load, micro managing, etc., but do not discuss with co workers.

3. Put a note in writing asking for a copy of the review and the specific actions / targets you are expected to achieve and *most important this bit* how your manager proposes to help you achieve those goals.

4. This may still not work out, but as you already know, you need to keep this job for now. If you are let go, rather than leave voluntarily, you won't have a waiting time for SW.

Finally, if things don't work out; take a deep breath and soldier on, I'm guessing you're fairly young, so plenty of time to find the dream job!

3. Put a note in writing asking for a copy of the review and the specific actions / targets you are expected to achieve and *most important this bit* how your manager proposes to help you achieve those goals.
Very important. Even if they let you go you must establish for SW that you did not contribute to losing your job through non-cooperation with the internal processes designed to help you improve your effectiveness and efficiency.

Forget about criticising the manager and focus on getting yourself protected.

Thirsty's number 3 above is the a brilliant approach... it shows a willingness to learn from deficiencies and if you play it right, the manager will be shown up as a result.

Don't talk to work colleagues about it... they are not the probationer's friend.

Probation extended for 2 months and 2 days in I'm already coming home from work in tears as know manager is going to make my life hell until I leave, criticizing my every move and highly doubt any chance of permanent contract at this stage.
No matter how upset you are do not talk about that aspect of things in work. This is about your ability to do your job and your managers behaviour. If you talk about it too much in work or give the impression that your are overly emotional it won't help.
You have to give the impression that you are surprised and disappointed about the negative review and that you want to get better. Don't take it personally; the chances are that your supervisor isn't spending their time scheming against you at home every evening.

It’s understandably difficult and distressing for you but you’re getting some very good advice here. Rise above the nonsense, put your head down, and show enthusiasm and determination to address any issues raised such that the apparent shortcomings diminish. Tell yourself that you’re going to do a great job while you figure out the next steps. Do not let anyone or the process derail or injure your spirit.

Last edited:
It’s understandably difficult and distressing for you but you’re getting some very good advice here. Rise above the nonsense, put your head down, and show enthusiasm and determination to address any issues raised such that the apparent shortcomings diminish. Tell yourself that you’re going to do a great job while you figure out the next steps. Do not let anyone or the process derail or injure your spirit.

That is exactly what I have decided to do. I will do my best over the next few weeks but I'm also going to try my best to find alternative employment and educational opportunities as it's a low paid position that was never meant to be a long term thing anyway and if I am let go, I would really prefer not to go on the dole. Nothing against people on it just I would prefer to be working and keeping busy.

Thank you so much to everyone for their great advice. I really appreciate you all taking the time to help. Wishing you all good health in these very strange times....stay safe

Back