Probate no solicitor

Littleredcar

My father recently passed away I am the executor and sole beneficiary of his house.
I am considering doing probate myself
His assets are a house worth under 300000
I had a joint bank account with my father with 8,000 Euro in it. This is left to my two minor children . I have used it to pay his funeral expenses and intend to pay them back from sale of house
I also am nominated in his credit union which is worth 4000
Would it be necessary to engage a solicitor with such a straightforward estate .
I’ve had a look at the revenue form it seems straight forward I’m just confused re the credit union account and the joint account as it states these are not required if your nominated
Any advice

Would it be necessary to engage a solicitor with such a straightforward estate .

It may not be necessary but it will save you having to figure out what to do, how to do it and wondering if its done correctly. The solicitor will deal with everything for you so you can spend your time doing something more enjoyable.

It's just outsourcing. I outsource as much as I can; kids birthday parties, plumbing, accounts, dentistry ;) I know it's done right and without me having to do it.

There's a very good thread here on DIY probate.

Its quite do-able if you are organised and comfortable with detail, paperwork and bureaucracy.

Re the credit union account - as the amount is less than €23,000 and you have been nominated as the beneficiary you do not need to include this amount. Staff in the probate office are helpful and for a simple estate it should be possible to do it yourself. Re the bank account is it a joint account or were you just someone nominated to sign - there is a difference.

Re the credit union account - as the amount is less than €23,000 and you have been nominated as the beneficiary you do not need to include this amount.

You do need to include this - but in a separate section of the CA24

There is no problem with you doing this yourself. You will however need a solicitor for the house sale.

A personal probate application is eminently manageable as long as you are competent to do it as per other posts above.
If you have reasonable doubts about your capacity to make a personal application instruct a solicitor.
Be aware that the Probate Office, without explanation, may direct any personal applicant to complete the process via a solicitor.

Personal applicants pay a slightly higher fee/duty for a probate application.
The saving arises from avoiding a solicitor's instructions fee plus VAT @ 23%.
However, if you are unsure about the process avoidance of a solicitor could be a false economy.

In relation to the conveyancing element a solicitor would be money well spent as that transaction needs to be nailed down properly.

If instructing a solicitor first get a S.68 letter setting out the required work and seek an estimate.
Get a few quotes.

There's a very good thread here on DIY probate.

Its quite do-able if you are organised and comfortable with detail, paperwork and bureaucracy.
Hi - going to do probate application myself also- Can you post the link to the DIY probate thread ? I can't find it.. thanks!

Last edited:
Back