Probate and pensions

glasto

My dad died suddenly in February, leaving no will.

His affairs were left in a mess, he was always bad with his money. He had retired aged 61, 18 months before he died, and took a lump sum from his current pension fund, leaving him with a tiny pension.

He had paid into a pension for all his working life, yet he always reckoned he had older pension funds that he was unable to track down.

Anyway, I am the sole beneficiary, and am due to inherit some cash that he had in a few accounts, also his half of a co-ownership flat.

I have a fair idea about where I stand with most of it, and am due to see the solicitor who is dealing with probate in a few weeks, to sign off on everything.

It occurred to me today that I have no idea what will happen with any of these pension funds, both the one that he was getting paid, and any others that may emerge ( I gave the solicitor details of all his previous employers. I assume if he was getting paid a pension, then the rest of the monies paid in are gone?

He only drew a tiny pension (under £100 pm) for 18 months - it seems like a poor return for paying in for over 40 years.

I'll obviously find out when I see the solicitor, I'm just curious really, and want to be prepared.

What type of pension funds are they? Most pension funds pay a set amount per week to the recipient until they pass away. If the recipient is passed away, then payment ceases.

Back