Probate and house deeds

B

barneyjoe

My mother died at Christmas, she was a widow with seven children, all now well into adulthood. She left no will and I have applied for administration with the probate office. Her estate is simple enough and I have sorted out the paperwork for the assurance, banks, etc. We can not place the deeds of her house. The house was purchased from Dublin corporation in the mid sevenites, tenant purchaser. Any advice on obtaining the deeds.

So, they're lost?

Would you consider asking a solicitor? or go to the Land Registry and see if the property was registered there? Or ask Dublin Corporation if they have any information?

mf

If the deeds are lost they can be reconstructed but this takes time.

I'd go to the Corporation and see if they will look back over their records. They may still have a copy of the file (although you'd be lucky!). If they do they will be able to tell you where they sent docs and at least you'll have a starting point. A search in the Land Reg under your Mum's name might yield a Folio number, if it's a land reg property. Although if it was purchased in the mid 70's it probably isn't. You should also seach in the Reg of Deeds against your Mum's name and the address. If you find a memoral of the Deed conveying the property to your Mum, the solicitor who drafted it may be recorded on the back of the Deed. You could then go to that solicitor and see if they still have the Deeds or a file for the property.

If that fails you really need a solicitor to give you a hand.

Good luck!!

Kate.