Prob uploading photos from finepix camera to laptop!

suileglasa

Hi all
Hope someone can help me! I have been using my fuji finepix digital camera with no problems for over a year, easily uploading photos onto my desktop pc and saving them.

Recently however, I bought a laptop which has media center installed on it. I attached my camera as usual and it was automatically detected and started to show me a slideshow of everything on the camera. Halfway through however, I pressed the backbutton on media center and my slideshow disappeared reverting to the media center screen. That was fine except that when I tried to resume slideshow from camera nothng happened. I unplugged camera and then replugged hoping it would automatically come on screen as before but nothing happened. Now when I try to look at photos on the camera itself or to take new photos I get a message saying 'card not initialized'. I cannot for the life of me find the camera manual and I haven't a clue what to do next. Please tell me I haven't lost all my photos on the camera!!!!

Any help would be appreciated!

Asking for initialisation doesn't sound good I have to say, especially when it occurrs in the camera.

Is it an XD CArd that is in the FinePix.
You could take the card out and try and use one of those card readers and see if it picks it up and more importantly if it finds anything on it.

Otherwise reconnect the camera to your laptop or maybe even another machine.
Do you use Fuji software to view them or just use the removable drive that appears in your Windows Explorer/My Computer drive list.
It acts just like another USB mountable removable drive.
You can then copy your files/pictures from the drive to another drive.

I hate XP the way it automatically tries to read or play or whatever everytime you load a disk. Disable the media center stuff and use the manual method much beter and more control.

Was it a back button rather than a backwards delete button you pressed? Just asking.[broken link removed]

jmayo's advice is good, and I agree that Windows XP and Media Player's rather intrusive 'autoplay' function can be a right pain in the USB!

For future reference, you can download manuals for most Finepix cameras here (and updated firmware for certain models), and drivers and updates for the Finepix viewer software here.

Hope you can salvage the pix!