Prize Bonds - Ways to Purchase From 7 Day Savings Acc?

flyingfolly

Hi there wondering if anyone can answer this for me. We have 90K in cash savings (no debt) and want to put it into prize bonds for 1 year while we're deciding what to do with it.

I had a look at the application form and it seems the only way to buy them is via direct debit (or debit card for up to 2k or so at a time). However, the money in a 7 day notice account with AIB so my question is:

1. Does a direct debit mandate work on a 7 day notice account?
2. Is there any other way to buy them like a bank transfer so that we don't have to have 90k in a current account (I'm worried about having that sum in a current account)

No a dd won't work on a notice account.

You can't buy by bank transfer, last year when I wanted to buy a large amount (not nearly as big as yours but big for me!) the only option was to get a bank draft. Helpfully UB would not issue a bank draft to NTMA/An Post or whatever it said on the form because I could have lost it outside the door and someone else found it and used it! Possible I suppose. The CU next door to them had no such problem so I just posted off the application and the draft, you could also go to the local post office with the form and draft if you don't want to post it.

Back