Private sector Pension Pot

Blackwexford

Hi all
Just courious about the size of the average pension pot in the private sector I was talking to a mate who was saying just a 1/3 of people in the private sector have a pension with average pot of €185,000. Please note the fast majority of people in the private sector are on under €50,000.
Anyway my question is there any way to get this data.
Do the figures sound about right.

Last edited:
It is difficult to get real figures for "average" as there are a number of issues
  • Pot size will vary with age - typically older people will have bigger pots than younger people, so a 25 year old with €185K would be a huge pot, but not so for a 65 year old.
  • Figures from the pension companies do not take into account that many people have a number of pension pots - from several jobs, with different companies

It is difficult to get real figures for "average" as there are a number of issues
  • Pot size will vary with age - typically older people will have bigger pots than younger people, so a 25 year old with €185K would be a huge pot, but not so for a 65 year old.
  • Figures from the pension companies do not take into account that many people have a number of pension pots - from several jobs, with different companies
Thanks do agree I was just wondering if there was a rough figure for people on an average wage. I have read may posts on here most are working for the public sector earning north of €90k with pension pots north of €750k. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Back