Private Car used for work what I am entitled too?

Carols

Hi, I use of own car for work, I travel approx 25,000 kilmetres for work each year.

I have a 1.5 diesel engiene and my employer gives me a petrol card. However, the wear and tear on my car is all down to me to service. All insurance and tax is also paid by me.

I have tried to work out teh civil service rates but havenet a clue how to do this.

My personal milage is about 100 kilmetes per week. Can anyone help me out, my car is 18 months old and now has 60,000 on the clock all mostly work related.

Carol - Sorry I can't help you with the tax situation, but your employer is really having a laugh at your expense. At a guess your car has probably depreciated by at least €10k due to your business mileage, not to mention tyres, servicing etc. If your not filling all of your extended families cars off the fuel card then you really need to get a better deal from your employer.

Thanks for the reply but I only fill up once a week as its diesel, I dont abuse the petrol card, but wanted to know the facts before I approach my employer. I was going to get him to lease a company car for me, but that might affect him more in tax and me in benefit in kind. Havent a clue which route to take.

Common sense would say that you are entitled to more than 'petrol money'. Your employer is profiting from the useage of your car.

I'm no expert on this but you should be paid wear and tear, which, as I am sure you know amounts to a sizeable chunk of your annual wage...

BM

In my experience of using a private car for work, usually an 'all in' rate is agreed in advance, sometimes this is negotiable, particularly if the miles are high. My old employer paid 65c a mile - this was low compared to others. I think 1 Euro a mile is probably more reasonable. This was deemded to allow for the costs in running the car i.e. insurance (bear in mind you have to notify your insurer that you are using the car for work as thsi is not deemed to be 'social, domestic and pleasure' found on a standard policy), tax, servicing etc.

Back