Print through wireless router?

Old Jim

Can I print from my laptop if:
- Laptop is connected to router wirelessly
- PC is connected to same router wired.
- Printer is connected to PC by USB
The router is a standard Eircom router and the printer doesn't have a network card.
Is is possible to share the printer so that the laptop will be able to use it?

Thanks Dearg, that sounds real easy.
Unfortunately, the desktop PC is running Windows 98!
Might put XP on it if I can't share the printer in Win98.

Sorry to piggyback your post Old Jim but I tried Dearg Doom's suggestion but it didn't work.I think it's for a network printer that can be seen on the network.Can printing be done remotely on a printer with the printer only connected to the system through a computers usb?

Part of those instructions detail how to share a printer directly connected to a Windows 98 machine to others on a network. Read through all the steps, making sure you enable File and Print sharing and have all the computers in the same workgroup. You should be able to see the remote computer in Network Neighbourhood. Windows 98 can be a bit flaky and at times I've had to remove and reinstall network adapters and protocols to get things going.

Sorry Dearg Doom I shouldn't really be butting in on this post but I have the printer connected via usb to a pc running XP and I'm trying to "see" it from a wirelessly connected laptp running XP.All are connected through an Eircom supplied Netopia router.

I don't know to be honest.How do I check? This home networking thing has me totally bamboozled.

Right-click on My Computer and then Properties. Look at the 'Computer Name' tab. If you have a firewall on the PC with the printer try disabling that temproarily to see if that is the cause. Make sure 'File and Print Sharing' is marked as an exception in Windows Firewall.

This may really sound dumb.Is the workgroup name caps sensitive? On the the pc with the printer the workgroup is in lower case.I thought it might be a firewall issue.At one stage I had two firewalls on the go kaspersky and the windows firewall.I turned off windows firewall.Tis a disaster I tell ya!! As you probably have worked out by now,I haven't a clue what I'm at.Sorry.

Got it orking Dearg Doom.The Firewall on Desktop wasn't allowing file sharing.I just tweaked the settings and the laptop could see the printer.Sorry about my dumb reply on Thurs evening.Computers and Budweiser don't mix!!

Back