Primera P11 tiiming chain replacement

TheShark

Mrs Shark uses a 2001 Primera P11 as a runaround. Timing chain went recently and got a verbal estimate from a local garage/workshop of €600. Collected car from them last week and was presented with a bill of €1244 , which I feel is quite excessive. Should I dispute this bill? Any thoughts on what the general cost of the timing-chain replcement should be?

did the timing chain snap in the car if so it can do alot of damage hence the cost !
i got a timing chain for me car recently and was charge €750 but i knew it was only the timing chain i needed and no other parts

No chain did'nt snap , car was driving but a bit noisy and lacking power , mechanic said it needed a new timing chain. Parts itemised on the invoice are timing chain €192 , chain guide €59, tensioner €91 , oil + filter , €32 , coolant €12 , gasket €10 , Airflow meter €220, Labour €480. Sub total €1086 and vat €146 , giving the total as €1244

It's a lot, but the car got a service too - it wasn't just the chain.

There are €274 worth of extra items on that list - not least the air flow meter - together with the associated labour.

It's still expensive though IMO, just not outrageous - compared to what garages can and do charge.

Umm, Airflow meter... The timing chain stretching is a problem on the 1.5l and 1.8l Nissan engines, but I think you will get a engine warning light and the car will go into limp home mode. I'ff you were not getting this, the airflow meter might have been the root cause.

Yes , I should have pointed out that the engine warning light was illuminated , the mechanic checked this out and he said it was indicating a "crankshaft sensor" problem which would be caused by a slack timing chain.
Bit annoyed becuse when he gave the original quote I asked him to let me know if anything "extra" showed up - he never called , and only mentioned the Airflow meter fault when the job was complete.
I dont have a problem paying for whatever work was done , and I do accept that the Airflow meter would have been extra , but do feel that his bill is excessive , particularly the €490 for labour - de did do the job in a day.