Primera alarm goes off every time car is unlocked!

usrbin

The guy beside me here at work drives a 1998 Nissan Primera with an amusing problem... every time he unlocks it, even if he doesn't open the door, the alarm goes off, beep beep beep.

Any ideas re a fix? Or even to disable the alarm? (Doesn't have a fuse in the fusebox or anything that simple, naturally, being an alarm...)

I had a problem a few years ago with a 1997 primera, every time I locked it with the central locking fob the car unlocked itself again immediately. A guy in a garage just disconnected the fob part of the central locking in the boot (up under the lid) and we had to lock it and open it with the key but the problem just went. Maybe something simular with yours.

Some times an alarm can become un attached with the locking of a car, ie. when you lock the car the alarm doesn't set and when the car is un-locked the alarm is armed, usually what's happened is the car has been locked by the key alone and no alarm button pressed or opened by the key and no alarm turned off.

Best thing to do is open the d/s window, stand out side the car, lock the car with the key and press the button for the alarm and see what happens, ie. does the alarm set etc, after 3 mins or so if the alarm does not go off wave your arm through the open window and see what happens. They could be out of sync. You just have to get them in sync again.

See how you get on.

The car owner says thanks Mr2 (and you too mathepac) for your suggestions... good advice Mr2 but that's not the problem, it seems - he's not even using the remote keyfob to lock the car, always locking/unlocking with the key.

(Out of curiousity, if they were found to be out of synch, how would you synch them up again??)

Cheers!

That's were his problem is I think, he locked the car with the key at some stage and didn't set the alarm, when he came back to the car he would have again un-locked the car with the key and pressed the fob to unset the alarm but he actually activated the alarm.

Best way to set them up again would be to press the alarm fob on and off a few times leaving a few minutes between each time he does it until he can work out which time is alarm on and alarm off, usually indicators flash once when alarm is set on and three times when it's pressed off, when you have that sorted just have the alarm off and make sure the car is unlocked. Then lock it and alarm the car and your back in sync.

I am assuming on this car, that the alarm is a seperate remote from the car key.

Back