prime time aerlingus v ryanair

Ryanair's objective is to maximise profits.
Isn't that every company's objective? why do people slate Ryan Air for being so good at it. Aer Lingus have tried to learn from the Ryan Air model but they havn't succeded. With the result they have left themselves stuck in the middle , they are neither a successfull budget carrier nor a successfull carrier with a decent service. With the result they probobly will did a death & Mr O Leary will have his Monopoly. I dont think Ryan Air will up prices in a Monopoly situation anyway. Examine their routes there are destinations which you could say they have a monopoly on & they still offer cheap fares. Like them or hate them you have got to thank them for stopping the Aer Lingus rip off that they got away with for years.

By the way who personally ever paid for business class seats...

Nobody personally 'pays for it' a company does, a company run by people with other peoples money, where flexibility is a factor. Do you even understand the benefits of booking a J/C class fare? Not everybody who flys is on a cheap weekend to Amsterdam. A large majority of Aer Lingus' revenue comes from business passengers connecting onwards at Heathrow, Amsterdam, Paris and Frankfurt.

and why would you need them on a short haul route.
Yes, please explain why we don't need them?! The supposed national airline without business class, what a joke.

If you look at the routes that Ryanair are sole operators of. You can still get flights for 40 or 50 euro. Now they have a monopoly on these routes so whay don't they charge high price for them?

believe me ryanair are extracting maximum yield that the market will give on routes with no competition . they do offer cheap fares to achieve volume targets but the average fare will always be much less where there is competition.

I am no economist, but is Jim Power saying that if Ryanair had a total (or virtual total) monolopy out of Ireland that they would not use that power (sic) to maximise profit? I just don't believe it.

see for yourself [broken link removed]

Conan said:
Surely even an economist such as Jim Power accepts that it is competition that keeps prices down (rather than an altruistic MO'L)

i dont know what he is playing at!

I dont think Ryan Air will up prices in a Monopoly situation anyway. Examine their routes there are destinations which you could say they have a monopoly on & they still offer cheap fares.

I just cant understand why people believe ryanair wont abuse a monopoly position. Open your eyes. They wouldnt be doing their jobs properly if they didnt!

Like them or hate them you have got to thank them for stopping the Aer Lingus rip off that they got away with for years.

agreed, but who will stop ryanair from ripping us off if the takeover happens?

Colm "I dont think Ryan Air will up prices in a Monopoly situation anyway. Examine their routes there are destinations which you could say they have a monopoly on & they still offer cheap fares"

I would believe the reason why Ryanair don't up their fares on routes they have a monopoly on is quite simply because they fly into small airports off the beaten track. If they did increase their fares on these routes people wouldn't travel with them as they would then have the additional cost of getting the bus/train/taxi into the main cities. To the best of my knowledge most of the airports Ryanair flies into don't offer connecting flights to other destinations, or if they do they are limited. If Ryanair does take over Aer Lingus they will have access to big airports, with connecting flights and do you honestly think they will cut their fares in this scenario if they have a monopoly.

Some companies do not allow business class ever particularly on short haul routes. This is because in general there can be no justification for the expense. And while not an expert I do understand economy (better known as cattle class)/business/1st/flexible tickets(j/C class I'm guessing)/premier/beds on planes/free food/free restaurant/free bar/free lounge/free limo transport to airport/bars on planes and also cheap flights too. Some business people go out of their way to get a cheap flight so as not to expense their company too much. Some do everything to fly business class to get points. I know one person who only flew bussiness class BA for the points while telling those under him to take Easyjet/Ryanair etc and to bring their own sandwiches on the same route. That person has since been fired.
By the way Aer Lingus is not the national airline anymore.

You still seem to be a bit confused with the whole thing. I am not talking about doing short haul point to point flying, I am talking about connecting long haul traffic, where in most cases businesses will pay for business/first, especially if the employee or executive is expected to work after deplaning. If businesses can't as you say justify the cost then why do the airlines still offer it? Simple really. A full business class on a 747/777/A340/A330 pays for the rest of a the flight, even with an empty economy an airlines would still turn a profit with a full business class. Some routes exist only because of this kind of business traffic, particularly in Africa/Asia/ME.

Now if a business through their travel dept. pays for a full J/C fare from Singapore to Dublin they would surely expect a J/C level of service all the way to their destination. Right now that is not possible and it doesn't send out a good image of Ireland.

The government with our taxpayers money owns nearly 30% of Aer Lingus, technically that would make EI the national airline. Ryanair would be the unofficial national airline, but I've yet to see a budget point-to-point airline that doesn't offer flexible ticketinng, interlining and codesharing ever be declared a national airline.

I have taken over 100 business flights for the last three years running. Most of them have been short haul to European destinations but a few have been to the Americas. I have never flown business class and never would. There is no cost justification unless you are billing the cost to a client who has more money than sense. I take the point if you are the CEO of Samsung or something but I wouldn’t build a volume business on that sort of traveller. The demise of most (all?) of the business class only airlines supports this and most of them flew long haul.

Ryanair have flexibility in their tickets you simply purchase another one if you change dates and it will still be cheaper than Aer Lingus/National airlines. Aer Lingus is not the national airline anymore. Ryanair do not fly longhaul. Not trying to be rude but you sound like the head of Fas on radio justifying his expensive and extensive travels. I know there are justifications for business class travel where people (on long haul) have to get off a plane and go straight into a
meeting.

Forgot to add that people flying only business class can also send out the wrong message.

Last edited: