Primary school teaching spanish in dublin

mooney76

Can someone tell me of any primary school in Dublin, preferably south dublin that teaches spanish

Thanks

Spanish? .... it's not one of the official curriculum subjects.

Spanish/French/German ..... I reckon doing them in P.S. is overrated.

We used to bring in a French teacher (Alliance Francaise) every year but gave it up as a bad job having spoken to the local secondary schools about the virtues of teaching French in P.S.

The opinion was that they had to unteach and then reteach the pupils when they came to them. Their preference was that primary schools wouldn't teach French so that they had carte blanche with them upon their arrival in first year.

There were (are?) DES pilot schemes for teaching foreign languages in primary schools but with cut backs I can't see them having any long term future.

The standard curriculum covers 11 subjects (excluding religion which isn't an official DES curriculum subject).

With 11 subjects to teach (and often in multi-class situations) I can't see how any school could have time to teach a foreign language.

The financing of these 'extra classes' can also be a bone of contention. It's the pupils themselves who often end up paying for these classes. DES rules state that pupils shouldn't be charged to access education.

With the downturn I can't see too many parents who would be willing to continue paying for swimming lessons, speech & drama classes, French, German, Spanish etc. during the school day.

After school hours is another matter.

The Teresian School,
12 Stillorgan Road,
Donnybrook,
Dublin 4
Tel: 01-2691376