Pricing help for Double/Triple glazed windows

Pique318

I'm looking for a comparative price on windows, double glazed versus triple glazed.
The windows are approx 86(w)X133(h), plus a 180X120 kitchen window. There is a 100X230 external door and a standard (internal sized) external door also.

They are currently old (mid-80s) single-glazed aluminium windows.. Are these worth anything in scrappage ? They are all perfectly useable for garden sheds etc.

I'm not even sure what materials to go for...I suppose PVC is the default option ?

What kind of pricing a I looking at or what websites should I go to look?

I have recently been quoted for PVC double glazing for 2 large windows and 6 small windows.

The quote for supply and fit, including removing and dumping the old windows,
including VAT was 4100

I would be very surprised if you can get any sort of indicative procing from companies
websites. You will need to call and have measurements to get a price.

Your old windows have no value. They may not even survive being removed.

Hi Huskerdu, I am also hoping to replace single glazed aluminium windows with double glazed. I have a price for PVC but am wondering should I try and get a price for alu-wood (Powder coated aluminium on outside and wood on inside)? My problem is so far I can't find anyone in Cork area doing this, so maybe I should just be happy with PVC. I have a feeling alu-wood would be too expensive anyway.

No connection, but two clients we've built houses for used True Windows in Sligo for alu-clad, one double-glazed, one triple-glazed, and both expressed good experiences. Clients sourced the windows themselves.

Guy there is Brian Raftery 087 8326600

Two others used EcoGlaze in Carlow, John Grace 087 2716888.

As an update, I requested prices from a local window company for Double & Triple glazing. Triple Glazing cost about 12% extra.

As an update, I requested prices from a local window company for Double & Triple glazing. Triple Glazing cost about 12% extra.

I figure that, in the long term, it'd be worth it. Have you enquired about low-e glass? The following link is well worth looking at.

That price was for Pilkington K-Glass, btw. What standard is that ?

When I was doing my research a few years ago, that was the best on the market. I'd strongly advise that you go for it, BUT, when it's installed, make sure that the inner pane has a sticker telling you it's Pilkington K-glass. There are one or two cowboys out there, as I discovered to my cost and severe inconvenience!!!

What is the WEP of the double glazed window and the triple glazed window?

Any information that I have received so far is that there is little difference between double and triple glazing in 24mm/28mm units in terms of u-values, triple glazing is more for sound insulation.

In order for triple glazing to show any significant differences in uvalues it needs to be in a 42mm unit

When I was doing some research a few years ago for double glazing, I discovered that the optimum unit was a 24mm one. Two 4mm panes with a 16mm cavity. That, with something like Pilkington K glass, would be very hard to beat, I reckon. Some companies fill the glass cavity with argon, or some similar gas, to further improve the glass unit's insulating properties.

The following link might be of benefit to you but, to read the end of it, a Masters in Physics might be of use!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insulated_glazing