Pricing an extension (Nov 06)

Sal

Starting a new thread about extensions as key post on this dates from 2003-4.

All advice gratefully appreciated!

I'm bidding on a Dublin house right now but would need to extend it if we buy. We'd need two-storey extension, roughly 20sqm (215 sq ft) to enlarge an upstairs bedroom and the tiny downstairs kitchen. The house is a semi-d. We need to know how high we can bid so that we can still afford the extension and we're under pressure to come back with an offer!

So far, I got two quotes:

1. From an architect (friend, not trying to rip me off): allow about 2,850 per sq metre, including professional fees, planning fees, VAT, fit-out and a new roof to tie into the existing one. That makes our total cost about 57,000.

2. From a builder, based down the country, who is doing work for my parents, and has a good rep. He says allow 110 euro per sq ft, so given our extension would be 215 sq ft, that comes to about 23,650. And that was including fit-out and his labour fees etc. But presumably not an architect or planning fees or Vat.

Still, though, there seems to be a big difference. Anyone done a two-storey extension in Dublin before that could give me a clue about total cost? Afraid to let this house go, but afraid to bid up in case i'm grossly underestimating the cost of the extension and get saddled with a very first house that's too small to live in!

Thanks all. Sal.

We are in a similar situation, in that we are looing to do a an extension to our house (cork),

I have been told anything from euro 100 /sq ft to euro 160 /sq ft.
I am contacting builders this week so hopfully will be getting a more realistic price, but my impressionis that it can swinging any where between euro 100 and euor 200 / sq ft.

a 2 storey extension would be 215 sq ft x 2= 430.
If you doubled the builders quote the 2 quotes would be similar enough when you add VAT and fees

The RIAI Building Cost Guidelines 2006 states that for a basic one / two storey extension the cost per square metre is between €2250 and €2850.

This assumes standard construction methods and a minimum extent of services. You will probably end up doing a certain amount of renovation to your existing house which will increase the price again.

The builder saying €110 euro per sqft is more like a new build in the country. Extensions are always more like €170 euros in the country.
And in Dublin you can up it to €180 newbuild and €220+ for extensions.
That's a rough estimate.

I have a few comments on the difference between the quotes.

1) The builder very likely has assumed a lower figure for fit out then the architect.

2) Has the builder included all the plumbing / painting etc. and the new roof.

Builders usually quote you the basic price for 4 walls and a lino floor, for building an extension, not handing over a completed ready to live in extension.

Make sure you know what the builder included. Of course, if he is a good value builder, then great, you might get a bargain, but you are likely to
end up with the budget increasing, when you choose tiles and units etc.

I am nearing the completion of a renovation and large 2 story extension in Dublin 6W, the cost for an extension is in the region of 2000-3000 per sqm and then you have the fit out. Also maybe difficult to get a builder for a 20sqm extension given the demand for builders and even more so with the SSIA money coming on stream.

Hi
We are currently looking at extending a semi-d in Dublin,

Can anyone recommend a architect, builder, etc... have no idea where to start...

Hi,

You might check out , an architectural company based in Dundrum that specializes in home extensions. We have signed an agreement with them for a single story extension to a 4-bed semi-d and we are currently at the design stage. Though early days, our first impressions are positive.

Andre

Hi,

You might check out , an architectural company based in Dundrum that specializes in home extensions. We have signed an agreement with them for a single story extension to a 4-bed semi-d and we are currently at the design stage. Though early days, our first impressions are positive.

Andre

Hello Andre,

Their website is excellent and just wondering if you have any pricings yet? They seem to do houses as well as extensions [broken link removed] which seems very impressive but just wondering if it is at a very high price?

Do their Design Pack A, B and C cost a lot? Sorry for all the questions but did they come highly recommended to you?

Thinking in terms of both our SSIAs and how far they would stretch :)

For a project with an estimated cost of €100k Extend are charging €15k for design pack C - they don't do design pack C for projects under €100k. Their design pack A was considerably less and B was closer to C but I can't remember the exact figures. We saw some of their previous work and was impressed with their imagination and high quality finishes. The extension we are putting in will be ~6m x 3.5m but there will be replacement of existing kitchen and upgrading of complete ground floor with solid wood floors, new doors, lighting etc.

Andre

Hello again Andre,

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply. That's a lot of money but these days when it comes to building projects money does not seem to go too far.

Food for thought for our SSIA funds.

Check out these guys [broken link removed] Larry Clarke is the guy you need to talk to. They are very good and came recommended to me and worked out cheaper than most other quotes!! Larrys mobile is 087 1236861. Tell him that dermot sent you and whats the best he can do for you...

Andre, I'm curious about your dealings with Extend. We too are planning a fairly large extension (probably 250k+) and have had extend in to have a chat (which as you know costs euro 200 up front). The chat was fine and to be honest I was quite excited about what they would come back with.

Was I ridiculous in thinking that they would come back with some form of graphic (albeit it on a laptop, not for us to keep) to show us how our house would look given what we discussed etc. I assumed this would be "the big sell" - play on the emotive side of us, seeing our fab newly designed house. Instead we got a oneliner back - "extension to the side, front, back & attic converted" - and a list of their fees and their contract. There is no way on earth I would sign something based on that. It was pretty obvious to the architect that came out that we were probably going to spend up to euro 300k by the time we'd finished and we had said we would be going with design pack c where they would have complete control etc.

In my mind (and again, maybe foolishly) they have thrown away business due to "lack of interest" - I really felt like someone came upon our file 10 days after we'd been visited and said "oops forgot about this one, best lash something out"...........

You obviously had a different experience?

Kitten

Re the RIAI guidelines

Costs exclude: Professional Fees,VAT, Planning Fees and

Charges, Fit-Out, Furniture and Inflation, and may be affected by spec and issues like access.

Re the fees - for a full turn-key project requiring planning where the client does not intend to be hands-on I would say 15% fees overall for architect, engineer and a "project manager" are not bad.

In my opinion the most important thing for the client is to be happy that they are getting the level of service they need from any professional before signing a contract.

In reality though there will need to be some form of agreement before design commences. I was surprised to hear about the 200euro up front for consultation but again I suppose the company have been stung by people wanting to get a freebie who have no intention of hiring a professional.

Its also important to remember that at these early stages the costs are "estimates" based on discussions between advisor and client - they should allow for some leeway and need to be firmed up as the project continues.

Clients often focus on one aspect, say cost, while ignoring quality and time. What should be done is a balancing act of all three. There is no point in getting a cheap job that takes forever and is poor quality or a hi-spec job done very quickly that costs an arm and a leg. Achieving a happy balance is as much a factor of the sophistication of the client as the skill of the professional.

For the record I have no relationship with extend.ie but I am a freelance project manager in the construction industry.

M

Thanks for your thoughts Needtobuild.

I fully understand and was happy about the 200 consultation fee (which is deducted once you go ahead etc), my "surprise" (I can't call it a gripe because we did find the architect who came out very professional) is that the company made absolutely no effort to "close the sale". What's more we had planned on moving out for the duration of the work and had told them that whilst we would sticklers for nailing details in the design stage we had then hoped to have a very hands off approach as we both believe that architects / builders etc can at times be hindered by change requests etc. So in my mind we were going to be ideal clients (if there is such a thing) - time wasn't a major factor either so there was no pressure. There was of course a +/_ on cost of fees etc which would be re-calculated after the design stage.

I don't know, maybe I was expecting a bit more, since then we haven't even had a follow on call to see if we even received their documentation. Given that they are only operational since Sept 06 they must be keen to grow their portfolio.

Anyone have any decent architects out there to recommend? I've already found a freelance project manager - needtobuild, how you fixed?

The funny thing is after the architect left, my husband's words were "I can tell you just want them to start on Monday yeah?"

Era, maybe I'm wrong!

Re: Pricing an extension (Nov 06) + VAT costs

Jumping in here with a question....(apologies if this is covered elsewhere on the site...my search criteria may not be too good)..

Im thinking of getting an extension and the builders are quoting me prices before VAT...I know VAT is at 13.5 % so I need to add that amount onto the quote to get the actaul 'cheque' amount....

Question...as I will be paying 21% VAT on the materials and then 13.5 % on the overall cost...(which is including the materials...again), this is surely not right (or am I that naive :)).
has anyone any advice on this as this is surely double taxation?

Any comments/suggestions, please post

Thanks
GurneySnr

Kitten, I had "extend" down also. And we were also amazed that they didn't come back to us for our business in a hurry or show sufficient interest. Yes we got the cover letter with a contract to sign. This was late 2006.

But it is far too much to expect a drawing for a single 250 plus VAT Euro visit (what is it Naomi Campbell said, I wouldn't get out of bed for less than 10000 quid or something ?)

We're going a different route with our extension project (sometimes I wonder if the whole things worth it, chasing up those involved is a pain and very time consuming). Cheers.

Back