Price Volatility vs. System Volatility

I’m not sure the article refers to your IT systems, but i’m sure i must be wrong somewhere.

My point is systemic stability is a basic assumption in modern IT systems. Bitcoin is at its heart, an IT systems, so this feature really shouldn't by anything to get too excited about.

My point is systemic stability is a basic assumption in modern IT systems. Bitcoin is at its heart, an IT systems, so this feature really shouldn't by anything to get too excited about.

I don't think anybody is getting excited about that? Why bring it up?

"Bitcoin is the opposite of fiat currencies, which generally exhibit price-stability but are susceptible to periodic bouts of financial system instability" - from the article.

You chose to respond to a point I made about people with a basic understanding of how Bitcoin works, you then tried to dismiss my point by talking about people who were new to Bitcoin. So I've no problem with anyone disagreeing with or challenging my views, but challenge what I said, not some other point entirely.
I disagree entirely. In my initial post, I referred to people who still hadn't made up their minds on Bitcoin and by inference, if they have not make up their minds likely they're still in a formative stage in their overall understanding of it (and as the OP, that was my thinking). Furthermore, regarding Bitcoins price instability , even those who don't in reality understand Bitcoin - they are familiar with (price instability). They're reminded of the fact constantly in the media.

It doesn't. The headline is: 'Bitcoin, The Dollar And Facebook's Cryptocurrency: Price Volatility Versus Systemic Volatility'. Nowhere does that even suggest whether such volatility is a good or bad thing.
The article continues in a similar vein. So again, please quote where they have said or suggested it's an issue?
The headline sets up the discussion. The clear components of that discussion are Price Volatility and Stability Volatility.
That first line I referred to - "Bitcoin’s price swung wildly this week, causing many to conclude bitcoin is unstable. "
This - people who know nothing about Bitcoin go on about all day long. I''m not saying that it's not a major issue (it is) - but by comparison, very few even know the good that BTC brings to the table in terms of Stability Volatility. And I disagree completely that this is assumed and everyone knows this. That's not the case at all - as it gets little in the way of airing in media in any event...and as for comparatively with mentions of Price Volatility, it's not at the races at all.

Context is irrelevant. You cannot conclude what my thoughts are if I have not even hinted at them.
I disagree vehemently.
Once again, anyone who has ever read a few headlines about Bitcoin and possibly still doesn't even know what it is knows that it suffers from Price Volatility yet the vast majority wouldn't be able to tell you what's significant about Stability Volatility (relative to Bitcoin). You said the article didn't bring anything new and failed to mention a word about Stability Volatility - which is central to the whole article.

And I stand by that, there is nothing new in there. The systemic stability they refer to is a long standing feature of Bitcoin. I have said it as an interesting (if somewhat one sided) FIAT Vs Bitcoin comparison of a feature, but it should be no surprise to anyone who is pushing Bitcoin.
Point out to us in your original post on this thread where you found the article to be nothing new "to anyone pushing Bitcoin'?

I was trying to have an open discussion. You chose to presuppose my view through the use of suggestive formatting, then used the roll eyes in response to your assumption. That doesn't lead to anything constructive.
No way in the world do I or will I agree with you on that. If you were in any way interested in an open discussion, this is not the type of nonsense you'd pursue. Being deliberately obtuse and persnickety doesn't serve an open discussion.

Last edited:
Let's take this one question at a time so...

Exactly the point. The article acknowledged Bitcoins issue in terms of price volatility.

Please point to where the article states this is an issue?

Of the typical AAM'er no. But nothing ever stays the same. Jamie Dimon said it was a fraud and later they launched their own crypto. In recent days, news has emerged that Goldman Sachs are considering the same. Recent months have seen the first pension funds invest in crypto with Fidelity and many other institutions now getting involved. And on another thread in this sub-forum last week, I posted 2x links to Deutsche Bank and Invesco analysts who actively brought up the notion of Bitcoins use as a hedge (something they would have laughed at 12 months ago). Crypto/Bitcoin/Digital Assets may well be a part of an AAM'ers portfolio before they're conscious of it themselves (through their pensions, etc.).

JPMorgan, Goldman Sachs, Fidelity hedge funds or any other financial institution are not getting involved because they believe in crypto. They are doing it because there is money to be made by the volatility. Trading desks love volatility. It's where they make their money. It is no different to CDO's which then became CDO squared which then became CDO Cubed. Banks saw the money to made and rushed into the product. Didn't make the product any good. Once hedge funds who are supposedly responsible for a lot of the recent price increases got involved, all the main institutions had to get involved to service them. That's very different to actually believing in crypto themselves. Lets see what long positions these banks are holding in crypto. Even now, there are many institutions staying well the hell away from it. Crypto is not an asset class. It is years away before being even thought of as such if it even gets there.

Can you stay on topic and address the central points that the article has raised, or not comment at all?

You asked a question, I answered your question.

If we want to get back to the article, can you elaborate on why you said:

Excellent article, succinctly demonstrates the value of bitcoin.

What in that article demonstrates the value of bitcoin?

Feel free to make whatever point you want to make, Leo.

So you won't answer my question?

Thanks for allowing me to make my points though, it's nice that I might be able to make a point without others presupposing my opinion to their ends.

So you won't answer my question?
Pretty selective standards you have there - given that you ignored mine.

Thanks for allowing me to make my points though, it's nice that I might be able to make a point without others presupposing my opinion to their ends.
Respectfully, I'm not getting dragged down into this nonsense. You did this once before. I have no time for your pedantics.

You asked a question, I answered your question.

You answered with a falsehood. You made a point, and it was your point, about the stability of IT systems taken as a given. This was never doubted or questioned in the article or in any of the comments here, hence my reason for asking you - why bring it up?
There are two answers, a true answer or a false answer. You have provided a false answer already - "I wasnt the one who brought it up...."

I would hazard a guess that the true answer lies somewhere between you not understanding the article or the question.

But to answer your question, as a matter of courtesy, the article demonstrates the value of bitcoin by the stability built into its system.

JPMorgan, Goldman Sachs, Fidelity hedge funds or any other financial institution are not getting involved because they believe in crypto. They are doing it because there is money to be made by the volatility. Trading desks love volatility. It's where they make their money. It is no different to CDO's which then became CDO squared which then became CDO Cubed. Banks saw the money to made and rushed into the product. Didn't make the product any good. Once hedge funds who are supposedly responsible for a lot of the recent price increases got involved, all the main institutions had to get involved to service them. That's very different to actually believing in crypto themselves. Lets see what long positions these banks are holding in crypto. Even now, there are many institutions staying well the hell away from it. Crypto is not an asset class. It is years away before being even thought of as such if it even gets there.
In terms of trading desks, all day long - I agree with you. They don't have to give a fiddlers about what it is or what it does. If they can trade it, they make money. No dispute there. That said, they're seeing demand from their clients who want to gain exposure to it.

Where our views would probably diverge is in terms of Bitcoin not being thought of as an asset class. It's in the early stages of being recognised as a hedge against the conventional monetary system and is taking its place next to gold as digital gold.

You answered with a falsehood. You made a point, and it was your point, about the stability of IT systems taken as a given. This was never doubted or questioned in the article or in any of the comments here, hence my reason for asking you - why bring it up?

I said: Bitcoin is at its heart, an IT systems, so this feature really shouldn't by anything to get too excited about. You then asked

I don't think anybody is getting excited about that? Why bring it up?

So I answered that I didn't bring up the topic of Bitcoin's stability.

There are two answers, a true answer or a false answer. You have provided a false answer already - "I wasnt the one who brought it up...."

As above, the answer I provided is demonstrably true, yet you accuse me of lying!

I would hazard a guess that the true answer lies somewhere between you not understanding the article or the question.

Perfect timing thanks! I'd just been discussing this thread offline, and I made the point that some of the contributions here are very much typical of a lot of discussion on the crypto forums. If anyone challenges the 'cryptos are awsome' viewpoint, even with the most logical of argument, at some point others will accuse the contrary voice of simply not understanding the issue.

But to answer your question, as a matter of courtesy, the article demonstrates the value of bitcoin by the stability built into its system.

You already said that, I asked you how it demonstrates that value. It seems you may be equating stability with value value for some reason. What calculation do you use to arrive at that value, and what number does that calculation give you?

Pretty selective standards you have there - given that you ignored mine.

I asked first.... answer that and I'll then answer any of you questions.

Respectfully, I'm not getting dragged down into this nonsense.

I answered the question you posed in a respectful manner. If you don't want to answer the question, fine, but don't obfuscate and then accuse me of nonsense.

@Leo

I perhaps over-reacted by labelling your comment as a falsehood, I retract that comment. I do think it more a case of crossed-wires.

1. Nobody is getting excited about bitcoin as a stable IT system per se. Instead, the excitement is (if any) its stability as an IT system acting as a currency relative to the price stability of fiat currencies operating within global financial systems that are unstable.
Its this relativity that you appear not to have addressed, thus somewhat taking the topic of course.

2. My own experience is, when the topic is open and the central themes of discussion are kept on track, that discussions in the crypto space are robust and honest.

3. As for value, stable systems - IT, Financial, Mechanical, Ecological, Biological, etc...etc...all hold value. Asking me to put a mathematical calculation on that value is futile, anymore than putting a mathematical calculation on the value of river systems on the environment.

My propensity to buy more bitcoin derives from that understanding that bitcoin is robust and offers me space outside of the unstable global financial system.

I asked first.... answer that and I'll then answer any of you questions.
It sounds like something you'd hear in a school yard.
I answered the question you posed in a respectful manner. If you don't want to answer the question, fine, but don't obfuscate and then accuse me of nonsense.
If that's my finding Leo, that's my finding. You're more than within your rights to disagree. You took the discussion down this rabbit hole of pedantics previously (and to add, I'm not saying that was deliberate or malicious on your part). I don't intend to follow you down it a second time - it's simply pernicious to the discussion at hand. I suggest we just reset at simply this. I don't agree that Caitlin Long's Forbes article doesn't bring anything new to the table in the sense that the world and it's wife is familiar with Bitcoin in terms of price volatility but considerably less people appreciate the upside it has on the conventional system in terms of stability volatility.
We don't agree on it - and that's perfectly fine. Lets park it up at that.

Back