Price of Wheat-sliced pan.

SlurrySlump

The humble sliced pan seems to be constantly over €2 unless on special offer. Does anyone know if the price of wheat is going up or down at the moment?

Wasn't it going up because vast tracts of land previously used for wheat production was instead being used to produce greener fuels, ethanol methinks??

The humble sliced pan seems to be constantly over €2 unless on special offer. Does anyone know if the price of wheat is going up or down at the moment?

I think marketing and margins have more to do with €2 bread. Alidi, Lidl, Supervalu, Tesco, Dunnes all sell bread for under €1. The branded bread costs more because theres a) a larger margin for maker, b) huge marketing budgets, c) slightly higher production costs/quality

the price of wheat has more than halved in the last 6 months

You don't shop in Lidl so.

One a month or so. I don't find them any cheaper or dearer than Tesco though. I find when I go to Lidl I end up spending more because I am always tempted to "try" this and that.

I sometimes buy the cheaper supermarket bread but really ony use it for toasting. The Centra own brand, I think it's Pat the Baker, bread is nice but needs to be eaten within a day or so.

If the price of wheat has halved in the past six months I would have expected the prices to drop.

It appears it's not all about petol stations keeping their prices up.

Dunnes Stores do a "value" pan for 85 cent (or thereabouts). Not as good as the Bat the Baker equivalent, but more than satisfactory.

Dunnes Stores do a "value" pan for 85 cent (or thereabouts). Not as good as the Bat the Baker equivalent, but more than satisfactory.
DUNNE'S LIGHT, no doubt! This must be the one that gives BATman his ability to lift off!:D

I think marketing and margins have more to do with €2 bread. Alidi, Lidl, Supervalu, Tesco, Dunnes all sell bread for under €1. The branded bread costs more because theres a) a larger margin for maker, b) huge marketing budgets, c) slightly higher production costs/quality

Not true, having worked in 1 of the biggest bakery's in the country for a few summers i can tell you that tesco own brand is THE SAME as a cetain Longford based bread maker. Different wrapper, nothing more than that.

Not true, having worked in 1 of the biggest bakery's in the country for a few summers i can tell you that tesco own brand is THE SAME as a cetain Longford based bread maker. Different wrapper, nothing more than that.

I can confirm this (not this particular one but generally speaking). Used to work in supermarket, all own brand stuff was same as one leading brand or another except different wrapper.

I had heard this before, but did'nt have the back up to say it outright, hence my rather weak 'slightly' :)

Oh, and there ain't all that many longford bread producers of scale... hehe... it won't be in granard by any chance? [no need to answer!]

tesco own brand is THE SAME as a cetain Longford based bread maker. Different wrapper, nothing more than that.

So fresh its famous, I hear.

I went on a bit of a mission as I work near Tesco.

Brennans Wholemeal €1.95
Irish Pride Healthy Grain €2.25
Hovis Country Granary €2.05
Irish Pride Whole Grain €1.90
Pat the Baker Brown €1.95
Tesco Bakers Premium Brown €1.19
Tesco Bakers Premium Wholemeal €1.35
Tesco Brown €1.05
Tesco Value Brown €0.75

All for loaves around the 800gm mark

And on the topic of the thing about premium products ran into value products, it happens everywhere. I lived beside a Weetabix factory, and all the line staff said the same. for ease, everything is just ran into eachother, and only the packaging change.

I worked in a toiletries place where it happened too.

They don't stock enough of the cheap stuff in my local Tesco. It's always selling out and the only alternative is 2 - 3 times the price. There's a market niche for mid-price sliced pan.

Tip: store bread in the fridge and bananas in resealable ziplock bags.

They don't stock enough of the cheap stuff in my local Tesco.

There was LOADS in my local Tesco tonight, the shelves were just about full of all the value/Tesco range, less so of the more expensive stuff (Irish Pride/Pat the Baker etc)

or keep a stock of bread for toasting in the freezer and break it off slice by slice, great if everyone in the house likes different bread

I could never get into freezing bread. Tried it once and thought it tasted horrible after defrosting. Maybe would be ok for toasting though.

Back